Currently reading:
B&q Porcelain

Discuss B&q Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rob hutchinson

The guys are right, "you get whar you pay for" so explain this fact to your customer& try to supply your own quality porcelbond tile adhesive, at least then you can guarantee your own fixing work. Customers may try to cut corners on the price and quality of the tiles however its essential that you convince them that they certainly can't afford to do this with the actual fixing of them. Good luck mate:thumbsup:

I

IvegotsTILE

B&Q have been pushing the tiles Graces Dad was on about on adverts and at the front of their tile section.600=600 black polished porcelain,must say they look great.I was picking some battons up the other day and had a look at them while someone else was looking at them,he saw my tiling t-shirt and asked what I thought.I said"£11.45 a square metre for those tiles,I'll show you why their that price." I opened a box(naughty,naughty) and got the first 2 tiles out and put them next to each other on the floor one was 599 the other 596.All 4 sizes were different. Put the bloke right off.One off the staff saw me and told me off.I said loudly in front of alot of people that they were only good for hardcore.
The tiles looked great but whats the point if when there laid all the joints are out of line.You can't get quality at that price unfortunately.
If you do have to lay them use a big grout joint,its very rare to get B&Q tiles the same size even in the same box.

Good luck you'll need it.

M

MrC

Also, don't forget you've NO comeback whatsoever with B&Q gear.
Their get out clause is that they only sell DIY, not trade supplies.

(funny, as they have trade sections at the warehouses now...)

You should still have comaback whether you are trade or DIY. If their goods are sub standard (not fit for purpose) or not as described (all different sizes but stated as 600x600) you should be able to get a change or refund.

Their argument may be that as a trader you should notice any faults with the product but thats a little difficult if they are boxed up!

Best option though as you say is stay clear from any suppliers you are not happy with - saves a lot of effort!

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
just layed 36 sq met. in my own house. new house spent a fortune on it first timer so starting from scratch. i seen the price of them about £10 sq met.600x600. could not resist as i am a tiler i took a chance as i could work on themto get the best finnish and guess what they were all the exact same size. could not believe it but they are VERY POURUS. seal several times. good luck

B

brian c

just layed 36 sq met. in my own house. new house spent a fortune on it first timer so starting from scratch. i seen the price of them about £10 sq met.600x600. could not resist as i am a tiler i took a chance as i could work on themto get the best finnish and guess what they were all the exact same size. could not believe it but they are VERY POURUS. seal several times. good luck
Thank goodness i have someome else who has the same opinion of these tiles as myself and Reaper72,these tiles need sealed please beleive me.I know what you are implying DH but these tiles need to be sealed especially the edges,this is my opinion btw.:thumbsup:

I beleive its something to do with the polishing process opening up the pores.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace'sDad

hi guys only done 1 job with b&q tiles they were white i did not have a problem with them check my pictures out in the gallery i found them ok to work with everybody on here slags b&q tiles off surely they are not all bad tiles b&q would have loads of complaints and do something about it they are a massive company so why would they allow this from there supilers

Fair comment but I believe B&Q insist all their suppliers accept returns on a no-quibble basis. The company I used to sell for refused to supply B&Q because of their demands regarding returns.

G

GazTech

I have to lay these 600X600 tiles aswell,do you reccomend 12mm ply or 6mm backerboard for these big tiles,& what would be better,grey or black grout,also would you go for a 10mm grout joint?........Cheers Graham.
12mm backerboard would be my choice Graham, 10mm.. joints are far too wide, aim for 3/5mm depending on wether the tiles are all same size...Black grout would also be my choice.....Gaz

G

GazTech

Ok,cheers Gaz,also forgot to ask would bal flexi rapiset do the job, for adhesive....Graham
Bal rapid flexi would be perfect Graham, .....Gaz
icon14.gif

Reply to B&q Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Topps Tiles in-store or online - Genuine Feedback, Positive or Otherwise. I used to work in a Topps Tiles store in Newcastle Under Lyme, not far from the Untold Media office as weird as that...
Replies
Views
Join The Tile Association and Get Noticed Some time ago joining The Tile Association may have got your tile business noticed, but it wouldn’t have helped your website much, as the Tiles.org.uk...
Replies
Views
This is the TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Advice Forum Discussion Thread TilersForums.co.uk, the free tiling advice forum, has been updated. Click HERE to go see the new website. It’s basic but it’ll...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.