Search the forum,

Discuss Attention to detail question on corners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

If you want to be anal about it. .lol then it looks better to have the cut tile in the line of sight....
So if tiling round a bath tile the back wall first then the 2 side walls. ..
took the words off my keyboard andy ;)

S

Stef

No professional would take as long as me! The bathroom is in use, so it's certainly a challenge.
I do appreciate the comments. I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist and tiling is not a perfect science. Even the tiles are not perfect. I've chipped one tile and lost one tile to cutting the wrong side! So not without it's dramas. And twice tiles have slipped, but fortunately I was able to catch them. Not good for stress levels!

I have even more respect to the guys who do this for a living. It all looks so simple, but it is anything but.

I've lost count of the times someone's watched me tile & said that it looks easy, had a couple try & they realise very quickly that it's anything but easy...

B

blue_max

I've done some tiling before and I was soooo naive. It was only barely acceptable. This time I did all the research and still didn't want to do it. I've spend more on tools and materials than it would have cost to tile twice over!
So, I'm taking my time and doing it right this time. A whole different prospect. I can't believe how much prep there is, not to mention the cost of adhesive, grout and sealant etc.
It's only 1.6m x 2m, but there are a lot of tiles!
Ultimately, the siliconing is going to be what can make it look awful. It's not something you can practice at really. I've just got to go for it. That's true of tiling too. You have a plan and jump in. A pro will know how to resolve all the little hiccoughs. I need time to scratch my head :)
The good thing is, slow set single part gives you plenty of time to fiddle. I don't think fast set would be so tolerant of incompetence. I've thrown away about a quarter of all my mixes so far, so it is not as economic as it should be. That's the trouble with doing it in small stages.

D

Dougs Third Go

I've lost count of the times someone's watched me tile & said that it looks easy, had a couple try & they realise very quickly that it's anything but easy...
same when I'm plastering Stef,,,"oooh that looks easy,,,gizza go"...watching folk trying to transfer mortar, plaster etc from a handboard to a float creases me up

S

Stef

same when I'm plastering Stef,,,"oooh that looks easy,,,gizza go"...watching folk trying to transfer mortar, plaster etc from a handboard to a float creases me up

Ha, I know that Doug,
I tried to plaster a small wall in my flat years ago & had to Phone my m8 to rescue me. [emoji1]

B

blue_max

I had to plaster the wall with white tiles. Doddle*.

*horrendous really. But hugely better than what was cracked, sloping and partly missing abortion that was there before it. I can get it broadly flat, but can't get a smooth surface without blemishes. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's just a skill that takes practice I think.

B

blue_max

I would be opting for a 8mm wheel for those tiles. Are you sure you're using a 6mm?

No, you are quite right, it is an 8mm (01959). It shows the best suitability for porcelain as you suggest. They are Granitogres tiles if that means anything.

B

blue_max

Further progress and a quick question please.

I've bridged the join between the two colours (shower screen going across on one wall) and was just debating whether to grout or silicone the joins. The metal trim is a little below the tiles (measured the tiles, but didn't allow for the 'ribbing' on the reverse).

I'm getting BAL grout and the matching silicone, so will have both. I will tape one side and do the other. I am thinking it might be slightly easier to go silicone as I'll be trying to meet a snapped edge. Would welcome any thoughts.

Cheers.
Graham

IMG_1216.jpg IMG_1218.jpg IMG_1219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blue_max

Any thoughts re the grout/silicone question either side of the trim?

Don't let me ruin it!

Reply to Attention to detail question on corners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen