Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Grout gone hard before able to wipe it down in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi all

I am a registered user but I'm sending this from the office and i cant remember my login details.

I've just tiled the kitchen with Topps Diamante Cream tiles which have a beveled edge along with a mosaic border 3 squares high from Tile Giant. I used Mapei Ultracolor Plus Silver Grey (111) grout and mixed 2Kg last night (around 7pm) and by the time the bucket was empty (about 20 mins later) the grout where i started had already gone hard and at that point i was fighting a losing battle.

Anyway, i spent the next 6 hours attempting to rub down, chisel off or otherwise remove the excess grout as best i could. At 2am i gave up because my hands were very sore and i needed to sleep. There is probably an area under the wall cupboards about 1.5sqm that still has lots of excess grout on and this morning it looked **very** dry and likely to be particularly difficult to remove.

I've heard talk in other thread about using grout remover chemicals, etc but these were in shower areas where its easy to hose them down afterwards to get rid of the chemicals. I'm not going to be able to do that in a kitchen so does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll carry on tonight with the rest, mixing just 500g of grout so I'm not doing so much at once and hopefully I'll have a chance of wiping down before it sets. I used the same grout but in white for the bathroom a couple of years ago without any bother, and this has really annoyed me cos the tiling was looking great up until this point.

Thanks
Ian

Y

YADT

Hi all

I posted the message above. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

G

Gazzer

Without seeing how bad it is I cant say whether grout remover would work or which substance to use.

Y

YADT

I used cold water out of the tap but by mixing 2Kg of powder i probably went beyond my DIY abilities. Thinking back to when i did the bathroom i probably did 500g at a time. I used an old wallpaper scraper last night which just about did the job without scratching the tiles but that was when the grout still had some moisture left in it. By this morning it was bone dry so i'm wary of using the same technique on the rest.

I've attached a photo of the remaining part of the wall that has dried grout on it so you can see what its like.

tiles with grout.jpg

Y

YADT

oh dear. If i tell the wife that im going to be sleeping in the garden tonight and for the forseable future.

When i took the old tiles off, the plasterboard came with it leaving a nice view of the breeze block behind it. Although i put new plasterboard on i'd be worried of the same thing happening again.

Going to have to think long and hard about this, although i do see the sense in your suggestion. Bear in mind this is a DIY job so i'm not worried about how long it takes like a pro would be, so with that in mind, if removing them wasnt an option what would be the next suggestion?

W

White Room

Might try some of this [DLMURL="http://www.ltp-online.co.uk/ltp-grout-stain-remover_2.html"]LTP Grout Stain Remover | LTP Online | Tile Cleaning, Sealing and Maintenance Products[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

YADT

White Adesilex P9 was the adhesive

Might try some of this [DLMURL="http://www.ltp-online.co.uk/ltp-grout-stain-remover_2.html"]LTP Grout Stain Remover | LTP Online | Tile Cleaning, Sealing and Maintenance Products[/DLMURL]

Thanks for that. I have read the PDF file on their website but its not clear if it is ok to use this on the grout between the tiles or not. What i mean is because the tiles are beveled, there is grout in the grooves that needs to come out - see attached picture to see what i mean.

Is this cleaner ok to use on that grout or is it likely to damage the grout or change the colour?

grout.jpg

grout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help! Grout gone hard before able to wipe it down in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen