Search the forum,

Discuss Attention to detail question on corners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blue_max

I know it probably is broad as long, but is there a convention to tiling into corners with two cut edges. Obviously one goes 'under' the other, but does it look better to have the uppermost tile along the line of sight, rather than towards you.

This is quite difficult to explain, but hope you get my jist. Essentially, is there any reason to choose which should go under from an aesthetic point of view.

Thank you.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Imo it doesn't make any difference once the corner is finished with a neat line of mastic you can't tell either way. .

B

blue_max

Thank you. That's fair enough. I was rather thinking of recessing the silicone slightly to better match the grouting. But maybe that degree of precision is a rod for my own back!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you want to be anal about it. .lol then it looks better to have the cut tile in the line of sight....
So if tiling round a bath tile the back wall first then the 2 side walls. ..

B

blue_max

It's my own bathroom, so I don't really care how long it takes. Anal is the name of the game with tiling I think. It needs millimetre precision as the grout lines are all in-line. How you guys do this stuff quickly is beyond me. I'm into my fourth year on this bathroom, but the end is in sight :lol:

Almost every aspect of tiling throws up questions. It may be obvious, but my fear is I will end up doing something daft and ruin the whole thing. Guess I've got to stop reading and start putting tiles on the wall!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Four years to tie a bathroom. .:lol:

No such thing as a daft question anything you want to know just fire away...:thumbsup:

B

blue_max

That's good to know!

I'm just looking at buying some more tiles as they are clearance stock at my local tile supplier and have a worry...

I have a larger entrance hall which I have found some nice tiles for. There are some stairs down to my basement and a small landing. Off to one-side is a small utility room. Straight on is the bedroom. These tiles are light coloured and they also have some which are essentially black. I'd love to use these in the utility room.

However, if I use the light coloured tiles in the main hallway, it would make sense to use them in the small landing at the bottom of the stairs as they would be visible together.

But the 'problem' would be that the small landing would be one tile, the utility another and the bedroom another again.

Is that too much?

The real answer would be to use the same throughout the basement, but I do love the black tiles. Please tell me if I'm going to end up with a mess!

W

WetSaw

You might get away with having the hall,stairs and landing in the same tile and all of the rooms in another (all the same) but I think you already know the best answer....

Reply to Attention to detail question on corners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen