Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Angle grinder cutting on top of a board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I was watching videos on cutting tiles with angle grinder and came a cross one where the tile was cut on what looked like a large board.
Anyone know what material it would be looking at getting something to cut on top of.

O

Old Mod

Any sacrificial surface will be fine, as Andy said.
Carpet
PB
Polystyrene
Celotex
Plywood
Anything that has enough depth to prevent you cutting your permanent table.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've used the thigh method in the past. That ATS blade just went straight into my leg. It didn't hurt but I won't be doing it again.
I find that the customers lawn works best or if there is a grass verge outside their house. No vibration transferred to tile and less chance of breakage.

I

Italy

I don't like cutting on a piece of wood,
I prefer to use the cantilever blade on a bucket
or a lot of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, I have the impression that the blade
lose performance by cutting other materials.
but I'm just an apprentice

J

J Sid

I've used the thigh method in the past. That ATS blade just went straight into my leg. It didn't hurt but I won't be doing it again.
I find that the customers lawn works best or if there is a grass verge outside their house. No vibration transferred to tile and less chance of breakage.
Used the thigh method 3 times now :rolleyes:

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I have offcuts of floor board I could use would that do?
Don't want to effect the blade but if it can cut porcelain then wouldn't think too much of going through a few mm of wood.

O

Old Mod

I have offcuts of floor board I could use would that do?
Don't want to effect the blade but if it can cut porcelain then wouldn't think too much of going through a few mm of wood.

Blades today are very material specific, generally speaking you should use one blade for one material.
I’ve noticed in the past that if you use a blade to cut porcelain it’ll give a very clean cut.
Then on next job use it on a stone project, the blade will cut very well as it did on the porcelain.
Then go back to porcelain, and it’ll chip the hell out of the porcelain because cutting the atome has changed the properties of the blade.
In a perfect world, you’d purchase a new blade for every job, giving yourself the best possible outcome every time.
Applying that theory to cutting through a tile in to something as hard as a timber, you would run the risk of taking the edge off the blade.
But it’s better than nothing, and always be mindful of what’s underneath, like a finished floor or surface of some kind.
Someone working with me recently drilled straight thro a slab and in to a finished timber floor.
Cost ÂŁ400 to replace that board!

Reply to Angle grinder cutting on top of a board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock