Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Requested on tiling a wet room/bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve H

Good afternoon Gentlemen,
I would appreciate any advice you can offer on tiling this wet-room/bathroom. I have a little experience with tiling.
The room will be about 1.7mtr square and on the shower wall it will be 3mtr tall and on the shorter wall it will be 1.6mtr tall, it is fitted into a roofspace. The joiners have almost finished fitting it out with a water resistant backer board. The plumber has already fitted the wet-room tray.
My intentions are to use a BAL wp kit to seal the joins in the backer board, corners and around the edges of the backer board on the floor. Will the tape that comes with the kit be sufficient for this, particularly in the corners and where the board meets the floor/tray?
I anticipate a problem in that the floor has 6mm board on it and as such is 6-7mm higher than the tray. The tray will be tiled with a slate effect porcelain mosaic tile in 300mm squares with each piece being 30mm. I have sufficient mosaics to have at least 1 full mosaic tile on the floor level, outside the tray. The rest of the floor and the walls will be tiled with a similar full porcelain tile 600x300mm.
There is a small gap between one edge of the tray and the floor, about 3-4mm. I have in mind to fill this with some of the BAL SPF adhesive before tanking at the same time, I plan to create a fillet from the higher level of the back board down to the tray, over about 100-150mm using the adhesive as a filler, I hope this makes sense to you, even if its not the correct method for joining the 2 levels.
I then intend to tank the wet area, using the kit, tile the walls, starting 200mm from the floor, then tile the floor, starting with the mosaics and working out from them. Once all set, I will cut and insert the bottom tiles. Grout and then seal the corners with silicone.
Here are some photos of the room and areas mentioned.
My questions are:
Does my plan sound feasible?
Will the tape that comes with the WP kit be sufficient for the corners and edging the floor to the wet tray?
Is my plan to fill the drop down from the floor level to the tray with adhesive ok? If not what should I use.
Thank you in advance of any advice offered

IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1975.JPG IMG_1977.JPG IMG_1978.JPG IMG_1980.JPG IMG_1982.JPG

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You will need to tank the whole shower area. There should be enough tape to do the lot.
Is that a foam core tray? If it is, 30mm tiles are too small. There is too much point contact.

S

Steve H

Thanks Dan, those drain covers are miles better, I'll show my neighbour, who I am doing this for, I'm sure we will be looking for a quick replacement.
Chalker, thanks for responding, I believe the tray is foam core, I've just been looking online and it is made by Dallmer. I understand the mosaics may be too small, I'm not sure what too much contact point means, but what adverse affect would that have. What size mosaics should I be looking for as a minimum? Do you think that my proposals to level out "with a slope" if that makes sense, joining the backer board with the tray, using an adhesive filler is ok? Thanks buddy, I appreciate your experience.

H

hmtiling

Thanks Dan, those drain covers are miles better, I'll show my neighbour, who I am doing this for, I'm sure we will be looking for a quick replacement.
Chalker, thanks for responding, I believe the tray is foam core, I've just been looking online and it is made by Dallmer. I understand the mosaics may be too small, I'm not sure what too much contact point means, but what adverse affect would that have. What size mosaics should I be looking for as a minimum? Do you think that my proposals to level out "with a slope" if that makes sense, joining the backer board with the tray, using an adhesive filler is ok? Thanks buddy, I appreciate your experience.
It's point loading I.e. The amount of pressure exerted on a small tile will be too great ok a foam core former. I think 50mm is smallest but not positive.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Can I ask, are you a tiler? If you are doing this for your neighbour, are you charging? The forum is littered with jobs that have had someone have a go only to mess it up completely. A wet room is not really the easiest of tiling projects to have a go at.
Just my two penneth.

S

Steve H

I'm not a working tiler, I have experience of about 3 bathrooms and 8 kitchen walls, and completed training at NE Tiling Training about 5 years ago. I had once thought of being a professional tiler, which is why I did the training. But then circumstances changed and allowed me to retire, not grandly, but sufficiently. My neighbour was aware of this and asked me to do it. His mate overheard this and 2 weeks ago he asked me to tile his kitchen because he wasn't happy with the tiler who did his bathroom. I did, and found that I enjoyed the experience of making the room look better. I went on to correct the mess that had been made in his bathroom. Yes, I am charging, but only minimum wage, because my work is slow. I do however take care and treat the work as if I was doing it for myself, and I am my fiercest critic. That said: I am aware that a wet room is a tricky task and tried to pass the job onto a couple of tilers who I have helped in the past, when seeking experience. Due to the floods in my town, the tilers around here have enough work to keep their diaries full until next year at the moment. That is why I am approaching this very methodically. I can measure, cut and fix a tile, even the tough porcelain that my neighbour has chosen. But, I am very aware of the damage water can do. There are no time constraints on this job and the neighbour is happy to pay for whatever gear is appropriate.
My concerns initially, were the difference in levels between the backed floor and the tray and also the small gap. And I'm not sure whether the tape that comes with the BAL kit is sufficient to cover this with the waterproof paintable membrane.
Please, don't think there is any tone in this response gamma, I appreciate your two penneth and any other advice you can give. Even if it is to step away and let a professional do it.
Thanks for the info guys on the smallest permissible mosaic. I'll put that to the neighbour and see where he wants to go.
Please keep adding, I am keen to take advice.

S

Steve H

Good Morning Gentlemen, thanks all for the advice above, I mentioned that there were no time constraints, here we are 3 months later and the job is almost ready to start. However, I have 2 further questions:
The plumber has been in again since the first photographs and he has applied a resin and fibre seal around the shower tray, it smelt like the stuff you repair glass fibre canoes with, I asked him about the gel coat and tiling over it and he said he has done hundreds of wet rooms and never had a leak yet! Is this common practise, and will the BAL SPF, I plan to use, fix the tiles ok?
The joiner who built most of the wall has not been back and so the home owner had the plasterer dot and dab plaster board over the 1 unfinished wall. This appears to be badly warped, not plumb and with hollows in excess of 12mm when a straight edge is placed on it. Again is this normal for you guys and is it the kind of thing that can be sorted out with a variable thickness, thick bed of adhesive? eek.
Hopefully these photos will help make things look a little clearer than my description. I appreciate any advice offered.

IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2036.JPG IMG_2037.JPG IMG_2038.JPG IMG_2039.JPG

Q

Qwerty

I'm lost for words. Putting this in the nicest possible way, I would insist on this being ripped out and re done. That is NOT tanking, the walls are well out of level and there is every likelihood it will leak.

Reply to Advice Requested on tiling a wet room/bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen