Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on cleaning black bathroom tiles that have white residue in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

tom8080

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys -- sorry, newbie questions -- lots of them, feel free to invite others...

Take a look at the attached photos.

IMG_8819.JPG

IMG_8818.JPG

What on earth is causing this white residue on my bathroom floor tiles? How do I clean it i.e. what methods, tools, cleaners should I consider (can I use a steam cleaner on it?) and my final question for the day, how can I prevent them from getting into this state again without being obsessive about the cleaning e.g. is there a protective spray I can apply to limit this problem?

OP
T

tom8080

Hi Julian -- thank you for the tip.

Would you recommend scrubbing hard with a heavy bristle brush, or would that damage the tiles and therefore what other cleaning method would you recommend?

OP
J

J Sid

use the above product and let it do the work. Use a white pad and don't let the product dry out.
follow the instructions and test first.

OP
T

tom8080

So after many hours of scrubbing I finally shifted the residue.

I used the solution Lithofin Wax Off Wax & Oil Remover

Here's what I did, I hope this helps someone too (but proceed with caution, I'm certain my approach is not industry standard, haha).

1. Cleaned the floor to prepare for the solution (lots of cleaning!)
2. Did a test in the corner of the room and saw how easily it shifted paint
3. Cleaned tiles that weren't so bad and watched in awe as they came up like new
4. Proceeded to tackle the bigger stain... not so easy
5. Applied a small amount and left for 5 minutes
6. Scrubbed like a crazy man for 15 minutes with a very hard stiff brush
7. Repeated this processed, increasing both the time and quantity of solution
8. Took a day off to rest (haha)
9. Came back engaged 'crazy-cleaning-mode' and scrubbed again with some solution
10. Dried the tiles and then applied viakal limescale remover, letting it sitting for about five minutes and then gently agitating with the stiff brush
11. Repeated this process
12. With a 5 in 1 decorator's tool gently scraped the final bits of muck and scale from the tile
13. Applied yet another solution

All in all I spent about 4-5 hours and about 600ml of Linthofin solution.

I now need to seal the tiles with stain stop and then apply some grout reviver.

Can anyone recommend a good grout reviver for the floor tiles? I used the pen, which is terrible on the walls, also used 'Forever white grout reviver' with some impressive results on the walls, but not so happy with floor.

IMG_8942.JPG

OP
N

Nick E

Grout Pen by Rainbow Chalk Markers has 4 star ratings from over 500 customers on Amazon. They do a 5mm nib and a 15mm nib for different tile grout width. The 5mm nib was test on a 2mm grout width and the distance covered was 60 meters.

OP
J

Jon Turner

This white powder like stuff precipitating out of hard water is mostly calcium carbonate, which is insoluble in water. But it will react with acids, so hit your white stains with acids.
I had similar issues on my bathroom tiles and I didn’t care to give it a treatment until I had to host a party at my home. I was quite worried about this and sought the help of an emergency cleaning service in Oakville as I haven’t had much time back then to try different solutions. They used plain white vinegar to get the stains off my tiles and it worked. I’d recommend the same for you.

OP
C

Carol77789

This white powder like stuff precipitating out of hard water is mostly calcium carbonate, which is insoluble in water. But it will react with acids, so hit your white stains with acids.
I had similar issues on my bathroom tiles and I didn’t care to give it a treatment until I had to host a party at my home. I was quite worried about this and sought the help of an emergency cleaning service in Oakville as I haven’t had much time back then to try different solutions. They used plain white vinegar to get the stains off my tiles and it worked. I’d recommend the same for you.

OP
C

Carol77789

I have the same problems in the home I just bought. I tried vinegar with water. Did your cleaning service use straight vinegar or did they dilute it with water?

OP
N

Needhelpgreytiles

So after many hours of scrubbing I finally shifted the residue.

I used the solution Lithofin Wax Off Wax & Oil Remover

Here's what I did, I hope this helps someone too (but proceed with caution, I'm certain my approach is not industry standard, haha).

1. Cleaned the floor to prepare for the solution (lots of cleaning!)
2. Did a test in the corner of the room and saw how easily it shifted paint
3. Cleaned tiles that weren't so bad and watched in awe as they came up like new
4. Proceeded to tackle the bigger stain... not so easy
5. Applied a small amount and left for 5 minutes
6. Scrubbed like a crazy man for 15 minutes with a very hard stiff brush
7. Repeated this processed, increasing both the time and quantity of solution
8. Took a day off to rest (haha)
9. Came back engaged 'crazy-cleaning-mode' and scrubbed again with some solution
10. Dried the tiles and then applied viakal limescale remover, letting it sitting for about five minutes and then gently agitating with the stiff brush
11. Repeated this process
12. With a 5 in 1 decorator's tool gently scraped the final bits of muck and scale from the tile
13. Applied yet another solution

All in all I spent about 4-5 hours and about 600ml of Linthofin solution.

I now need to seal the tiles with stain stop and then apply some grout reviver.

Can anyone recommend a good grout reviver for the floor tiles? I used the pen, which is terrible on the walls, also used 'Forever white grout reviver' with some impressive results on the walls, but not so happy with floor.

View attachment 91180

Reaction score
I also suffered from the same problem of these white and black patches on tiles it's due to hard water may be. But tried to remove or clean it quickly with acids, get no perfect results even tile colors gone due to reaction of acid.

I was quite worried about this and sought the help of local professional tile & grout cleaning services in Box Hill. They used the best eco-friendly cleaning techniques to get the black stains off my tiles, with equipment and it worked. I’d recommend the same for you.

OP
S

Sharon

I have used Vitrex residue remover on my tiles and no it has left white marks which I can't get out. Help

Reply to Advice on cleaning black bathroom tiles that have white residue in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock