Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice needed on job finished today please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia
Reaction score
If he's used a tubbed https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ they will probably come off fairly easily and you may be able to re-use a lot of them after they've been cleaned up (leave them to soak in hot water them scrape the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ off the backs).
You MUST give him the opportunity to come back and put it right within a reasonable time

Reaction score
I'd tell him nicely but firmly that the workmanship is too poor to leave the way it is, that you want it redone properly and that the tiles need to be taken off immediately before the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ fully sets and possibly damages the substrate. If he refuses then get those tiles off: you have detailed photographic evidence of his work so the poor quality can't be denied and you are running out of time. Withholding payment isn't a good idea though, you must try to resolve this with him before refusing to give him any money (perhaps he could pay for someone else to rectify the job and receive the difference).
Unfortunately most good tilers are booked up in advance for quite a while (I've a year waiting time) but the difference is well worth your patience. Beware anyone who can start immediately without a very good reason and always ask to see examples of his/her work. I wish you all the best.

OP
A

Al875319

Just as an update for everyone who had kindly helped with their advice...

The original "tiler" came out again and reckoned there were a few "snagging" issues but he could fix them and it wouldn't all need removing. He accepted he could have laid out a few bits better and was generally apologetic, but couldn't see that a lot of the things were really issues (e.g. wonky uneven could be fixed by "scraping it out with a nail" ).

I unsurprisingly wasn't interested or convinced, even though he assured me that he would would do whatever he needed to make it look good. We eventually agreed that we would just both walk away with no payment.

Happily @Andy Allen happened to have two free days due to another job not being ready for him and he has managed to sort it all out wonderfully. What a difference! My wife is now over the moon with her kitchen.

The one good thing about the guy doing it badly is that, despite being up for a week, Andy managed to get most of the tiles off just by flicking them with a screwdriver as the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ still hadn't really set and crumbled under a bit of finger pressure. The guy also hadn't prepped at all so the underlying paint was coming off in sheets like paper.

Thanks again to you all for your advice and recommending Andy!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you Adam, it is much appreciated.
I took a few pics...
IMG_20180813_085547.jpg

IMG_20180813_085554.jpg

As you can see they didn't take much getting off as he tiled onto the paint .

IMG_20180813_112731.jpg

IMG_20180813_112734.jpg

Once fully stripped back and the walls primed, I was able to re-tile.

IMG_20180814_154356.jpg

IMG_20180814_154359.jpg

IMG_20180814_154402.jpg

IMG_20180814_154412.jpg

All in all a nice job done for a lovely couple that deserved better than to be ripped off by some cowboy...!

OP
W

Waluigi

Great result!

Hopefully it’ll make the original ‘tiler’ have a little rethink about doing a lash up like that again.

Or perhaps a career change should be in order.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Lovely Andy, out of the haze of metro tiles came a man on a white horse.

He muttered “I can help you with your problem, I’ve fixed these tiles before”

And within hours, he had protected the worktops, and made the wife happy (she had her dream kitchen)

Well done Andy :thumbsup:

OP
J

Just Rizzle

i hate metro tiles even the best jobs look average and when you add coloured grout especially grey it looks even worse, they always reminds me of a prison i tiled in the 80s.
saying that got one to do tomorrow the walls are really bad even the plasterer walked off and has about 8 sockets to cut around cant wait to get up in the morning to start this one NOT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGG

Reply to Advice needed on job finished today please in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock