Discuss Advice for my first tiling job! Small bathroomhi, in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, I've layed No More Ply on my small bathroom floor ready for tiling. The sub floor was not perfect despite my best efforts, as it's old floor boards. I called No More Ply and they said just use more of the mega strength adhesive and it will expand to fill any small gaps.

The NMP went down ok, but there is one section where two boards meet and there's a 1/2mm lip for about 30cm. Will this be an issue?

Other than that the adhesive foamed up and is a bit proud by 1mm in places. I considered sanding it but didn't want to ruin the pre primed boards or the seal the adhesive made between the boards. Any advice?

I have no idea if I'm being too obsessive, because I imagine tile adhesive will be able to deal with little 1 or 2mm lumps and bumps, what do you think? I have a 6mm notched trowel, should I get one with bigger notches?

Ive seen so many different approaches to tiling, I'm confused. What would you do in a small room like this? Work from one side to the other, not from centre out? Should I lay them all out dry and make necessary cuts first

What's the best way to get everything lined up and square? Just follow the edge of the NMP boards and work across? As you can see form the photo, 5 tiles fits almost perfectly across.

Sorry for all the questions, any advice would be great
Thanks
20200722_092054.jpg

Reaction score
If I was doing it I would;

Take the high spots of glue off with a sharp scraper
Use a 10mm square notch trowel
If your happy the 5 will fit the full width of the room with 3mm spacers, start in the top right and work right to left and down towards the door.
Regular checks with a good level, as standard
Even though they are small tiles I would still back butter them
Check to make sure you don't get a dodgy slither cut on the threshold, if you do then adjust for it.

It looks pretty straight forward tbf, so good luck :thumbsup:

Reaction score
If I was doing it I would;

Take the high spots of glue off with a sharp scraper
Use a 10mm square notch trowel
If your happy the 5 will fit the full width of the room with 3mm spacers, start in the top right and work right to left and down towards the door.
Regular checks with a good level, as standard
Even though they are small tiles I would still back butter them
Check to make sure you don't get a dodgy slither cut on the threshold, if you do then adjust for it.

It looks pretty straight forward tbf, so good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks, good advice. I'll get a 10mm notch trowel. Any reason you work right to left?

The floor isn't exactly level everywhere anyway, so I guess I'll just have to try and get the tiles flat without lippage and go with the floor?

Sorry, what do you mean by dodgy slither cut? Do you stop the tiles exactly where the door would close to, I guess that makes sense

Reaction score
I would work right to left so if you do have to trim anything off, it would be under the skirting.

A 10mm notched will give you a tad more to work with on the levels..

When you get to the door threshold, you don't want a small cut, for example a 10 or 20mm slither right as you go in. They might all fit snug from wall to wall but sometimes where the door closes is slightly deeper than the wall.

Reaction score
I would work right to left so if you do have to trim anything off, it would be under the skirting.

A 10mm notched will give you a tad more to work with on the levels..

When you get to the door threshold, you don't want a small cut, for example a 10 or 20mm slither right as you go in. They might all fit snug from wall to wall but sometimes where the door closes is slightly deeper than the wall.
Ok I get it thanks. Whether its left to right or vice versa, they will under up under skirting or under the bath panel/cupboard, so there is give on either side

I think it will be about half to two thirds of a tile at the door threshold. I think its better to have it that end than the far end as your eyes go to the far end I find.

Reply to Advice for my first tiling job! Small bathroomhi, in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks