Search the forum,

Discuss What's the best course of action for this wall? in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Good evening all. Removed some tiles in bathroom and damaged the wall. Plaster has come off, underneath I think its bonding plaster? Haven't a clue.
What would be the best repair method for the wall, also can I installHardiebacker without plastering the wall after the repair?

Will be installing mosaic tiles.

Any help is appreciated.
20190306_195147.jpg
20190306_195106.jpg
20190306_192738.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you are installing mosaics the wall needs to be perfect , knock off and reboard, I wouldn’t bother with hardie , its a pain imo and plasterboard is perfect, if its in a wet room , tank it

Reaction score
If you are installing mosaics the wall needs to be perfect , knock off and reboard, I wouldn’t bother with hardie , its a pain imo and plasterboard is perfect, if its in a wet room , tank it
not looking to knock back. Its too much work and the wall is where a window and toilet is. :(
Just want wall as flat as possible to put some type of backing board over.
Do you recommend multifinish over surface or another product?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is the bonding sound? If you have a window and reboard are you happy with the extra wall thickness around window ?

Last edited:

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
The trouble with any plaster finish is that the surface flatness is unlikely to be good enough for mosaics. Another method is to dry line with Orbry board with supplemental Orbry Spanker mechanical fixings. Boards are waterproof so use waterproof tape on joint for wet room. Boards incorporate insulation so reduces risk of condensation (always include forced ventilation in bathroom) and mouldy grout.
https://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/Orbry-Spanker-Dowel-Fixing-Guide.pdf
Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

Reaction score
Is the bonding sound? If you have a subdue and reboard are you happy with the extra wall thickness around window ?

As shown in the pictures its pretty much just parts that have come off and texture in some places so not smooth. Was thinking of filling damage then getting flat as possible, then 6mm backerboard. Just need to know what product to fill holes and over the bonding to get smooth as possible.

Reaction score
The trouble with any plaster finish is that the surface flatness is unlikely to be good enough for mosaics. Another method is to dry line with Orbry board with supplemental Orbry Spanker mechanical fixings. Boards are waterproof so use waterproof tape on joint for wet room. Boards incorporate insulation so reduces risk of condensation (always include forced ventilation in bathroom) and mouldy grout.
https://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/Orbry-Spanker-Dowel-Fixing-Guide.pdf
Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

Thanks already have some prowarm boards. Is yours better?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To be clear you want to get wall to a decent finish before reboarding with plasterboard or a backer board?

If so don’t bother, reboard on what you have and get that plumb and level

Last edited:
W

Waluigi

Hack it all off down to brick/block and Dot and Dab Plasterboard.

Messy but worth it when you consider you can achieve a perfectly Plumb wall and smooth surface to tile on to.

Reaction score
Hack it all off down to brick/block and Dot and Dab Plasterboard.

Messy but worth it when you consider you can achieve a perfectly Plumb wall and smooth surface to tile on to.

Not an option for me. Also, the wall is not damaged enough to warrant all that work.

Reply to What's the best course of action for this wall? in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen