Search the forum,

Discuss What is your ideal tiling scenario.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

What makes you smile or get a buzz on a job...:thumbsup:

Big area's to go at maybe or just nice flat substrates.?

Maybe even just a change from the norm day to day tiles you seem to be getting..

D

david campbell

it always brings a smile when:
-i start a job where a customer understands prep work needs done and is actually willing to pay without moaning or expect it be done as part of your job.
-large floor area's or rooms that you can get really stuck into.
-customers wan't something different and you can toss idea's about with them till you's both agree what's practical.

on the other hand there's jobs that make you:incazzato::
-customers promising they will have certain things done before you arrive and then expect you to do them for nothing when you turn up
-customers that want to tile over tile and refuse to believe in most cases is not safe or helpful to you
-24m2 bathrooms where the customer wants 6 inch whites:yikes:

D

doug boardley

same as David with all tiles fitting without cuts, job gets done ahead of schedule and a nice box of wine as a reward off the customer:8:

D

diamondtiling

Mine has to be the first day on site, walking around and seeing all the floors and walls that need doing, all that meterage, the craic and banter is great, love it.

Down side is going to a domestic where the customer watches you all day............:mad2:

I had one that asked a million questions........

"whats that then?"
"its a trowel"
"oooh, whats that for then?"
"its for spreading the adhesive"
"oooh, why's that then?"
"because I need it to do the job"
"oooh thats a clever thing that is"

She was nice but completely batty.........:lol::lol::lol:

C

CJ CERAMICS

mine is where the customer wants everthing starting from scratch
out come the walls floor and everything else so you have a blank canvas
:hurray::hurray::hurray:

W

wacker

Nice big floors. Cant beat them for getting stuck into. Working on a 120 m floor at the mo. Should look good when its finished. On the domestic side, I love customers who just let you get on with it. Is nice when they understand that prep work has to be done before any tiling can start. Oh, and tips at the end of a job are always welcome!!!:8:

D

div

What makes you smile or get a buzz on a job...:thumbsup:

Big area's to go at maybe or just nice flat substrates.?

Maybe even just a change from the norm day to day tiles you seem to be getting..

you can never beat sitting back and watching your apprentice prep a job ..set it all out...then sit back and watch your 3rd/4th apprentices do a job you would be proud of yourself...takes me back to what it felt like myself..thats what i call my ideal tile scenario..and still is to this day.

D

div

you can never beat sitting back and watching your apprentice prep a job ..set it all out...then sit back and watch your 3rd/4th apprentices do a job you would be proud of yourself...takes me back to what it felt like myself..thats what i call my ideal tile scenario..and still is to this day.

what they dont realise is i go in over their first four years and take photos of everthing they do....prep..render/plaster...tile...its amazing to see their faces when you give them their portfolio off all their work..
oh and how good their coffee and tea is..:thumbsdown:

J

jamie B

Nothing beats the satisfaction of something looking the absolute nuts when it's fixed..especially when the customer agrees!!:8:

F

faithhealer

Had a moment the other night, text from customer who had just walked in to a job I've been busting a gut over all month!!
'Absolutely delighted you must be proud of it!'
I am now

S

silver

Hi all,
some of the good moments:........
Getting given the front door keys as they leave "tea coffee etc is on the worktop" (Trust)
"Dont worry about the mess, there's bound to be dust" (Understanding)
The phone call on your way home when first wall is on but not grouted "I cant believe what you have done with the wall...it looks fantastic" (Appreciation)
"I have told all my friends at work about you and how you have transformed our bathroom" (Acknowledgement)
"Theres a drink there with that" as they pass you the payment (Best tip so far £100)
(Total appreciation !)
Or it sometimes goes like...........
"None of the other tilers mentioned that" when I say tanking (You are ripping me off here)
"I know loads of people who have up to five layers of tiles" (You dont know what you are on about .1)
"The man at *&* said I dont need to seal anything" (You dont know what you are on about .2)
"I cant pay you £75 to do such a small floor its only 2m and there are no cuts ! Thats way too much and besides its cost me £200 for these Galaxy white tiles !!" (mmmmmm)

The joys

Degs

F

faithhealer

Hi all,
some of the good moments:........
Getting given the front door keys as they leave "tea coffee etc is on the worktop" (Trust)
"Dont worry about the mess, there's bound to be dust" (Understanding)
The phone call on your way home when first wall is on but not grouted "I cant believe what you have done with the wall...it looks fantastic" (Appreciation)
"I have told all my friends at work about you and how you have transformed our bathroom" (Acknowledgement)
"Theres a drink there with that" as they pass you the payment (Best tip so far £100)
(Total appreciation !)
Or it sometimes goes like...........
"None of the other tilers mentioned that" when I say tanking (You are ripping me off here)
"I know loads of people who have up to five layers of tiles" (You dont know what you are on about .1)
"The man at *&* said I dont need to seal anything" (You dont know what you are on about .2)
"I cant pay you £75 to do such a small floor its only 2m and there are no cuts ! Thats way too much and besides its cost me £200 for these Galaxy white tiles !!" (mmmmmm)

The joys

Degs
Well put Degs

W

White Room

When a customer understands that the advise your giving is right rather than taking what the sheds say is written in stone

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Prefer floors myself.............large enuff to get ya keep ya bank balance a bit healthier.

Oh.......and someone who puts the kettle on every hour on the hour :thumbsup:

Reply to What is your ideal tiling scenario.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen