Search the forum,

Discuss What is the correct floor tiling trowel? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The correct floor tiling trowel will give a 100% coverage, meaning once you've bedded the tile in the adhesive correctly using the 'twist' action and pull the tile back up, you should see no air pockets under the tile which means the tile is 100% covered with adhesive.

The old 'spot-fix' method isn't used as British Standards as using just small blobs of adhesive on the back of the tile will cause the tile to break should anything heavy be rested on it.

The correct tiling trowel for floor tiling has half-moon shaped cut-outs in it every inch that are about the size of half of a 50 pence peice. More modern versions have cut-outs between these 'round notches' which allow more adhesive to be left behind when using the trowel correctly.

M

Matty A

That is the method that i use the thick bed solid bed but how come i some times see on tv,Tiling brocures or on the net that a square notched of about 6mm or even the thin bed -solid bed method used on the floor?
I hav easchluter systems brocure and it says that you can use the thin bed method on it the DITRA that is.

Im confused.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
a 10mm round notch trowel and a 6mm v shaped tapered trowel will give you a solid bed.
6mm of square notch only gives a 70% coverage

Reply to What is the correct floor tiling trowel? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen