Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Walls Plasrered Before Tiling - Not in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
14635641540121359587903.jpg 1463564247062-1960637839.jpg 14635642899741560254789.jpg
This bathroom was tiled 2 years ago. Water has been leaking into the kitchen for the past 6 months. Customer said it was re plastered before tiling but as you can see it wasn't.
The wooden window cills were left in and tiled over.
Ive just spoken to a plasterer on phone and he says 250 plus mats (£300 total). WHAT!! This cant be right?

I'm going to replace cills with plasterboard.

Any other suggestions please.

O

On one

If you were going floor to ceiling with the tiles I would D&D plasterboard to all of the walls.....flat,dry smooth walls.
3/4's of a day, so say a day + materials so not far away from your £300

S

Stef

As wrighty says, dot dab those walls & they should be nice & flat to tile to & save the hassle of waiting on plaster drying & probably not very flat.

W

White Room

View attachment 81724 View attachment 81725 View attachment 81726
This bathroom was tiled 2 years ago. Water has been leaking into the kitchen for the past 6 months. Customer said it was re plastered before tiling but as you can see it wasn't.
The wooden window cills were left in and tiled over.
Ive just spoken to a plasterer on phone and he says 250 plus mats (£300 total). WHAT!! This cant be right?

I'm going to replace cills with plasterboard.

Any other suggestions please.

the next room on job I'm on, plaster said this finish and bonding is fine for all the other tiles :(
over board :) View attachment 81727 View attachment 81728

There some rough plastering there...I started laughing sorry:confused:

Reaction score
I would get yourself some 6mm Hardi-backer and glue/mechanically fix them with screws to those walls, no waiting time and very solid walls although a bit time consuming initially, that's how I would tackle it, if thickness is not a problem then use 12mm screwed into brick/blockwork and skim with rapid tile adhesive to take any curves out in both scenarios.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Walls crumbling all over the place. Owner got it plastered today for £260. I did some prep work yesterday plus a few other bits around the house. I lose 1 day but hey ho. Started drinking Theakstons old peculiar a bit early today!

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I don't go anywhere near new skim for 2 weeks, poor customers would be waiting a while for me. On the plus side though I agree, could drink a healthy amount of Old Peculiar in that time.

Reply to Walls Plasrered Before Tiling - Not in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks