Search the forum,

Discuss Walls Plasrered Before Tiling - Not in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
14635641540121359587903.jpg 1463564247062-1960637839.jpg 14635642899741560254789.jpg
This bathroom was tiled 2 years ago. Water has been leaking into the kitchen for the past 6 months. Customer said it was re plastered before tiling but as you can see it wasn't.
The wooden window cills were left in and tiled over.
Ive just spoken to a plasterer on phone and he says 250 plus mats (£300 total). WHAT!! This cant be right?

I'm going to replace cills with plasterboard.

Any other suggestions please.

O

On one

If you were going floor to ceiling with the tiles I would D&D plasterboard to all of the walls.....flat,dry smooth walls.
3/4's of a day, so say a day + materials so not far away from your £300

S

Stef

As wrighty says, dot dab those walls & they should be nice & flat to tile to & save the hassle of waiting on plaster drying & probably not very flat.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As wrighty says, dot dab those walls & they should be nice & flat to tile to & save the hassle of waiting on plaster drying & probably not very flat.
Unfortunately bath, taps, shower and shower screen are already in situ. Bringing out the walls any further would not work in this scenario. cheers.

W

White Room

View attachment 81724 View attachment 81725 View attachment 81726
This bathroom was tiled 2 years ago. Water has been leaking into the kitchen for the past 6 months. Customer said it was re plastered before tiling but as you can see it wasn't.
The wooden window cills were left in and tiled over.
Ive just spoken to a plasterer on phone and he says 250 plus mats (£300 total). WHAT!! This cant be right?

I'm going to replace cills with plasterboard.

Any other suggestions please.

the next room on job I'm on, plaster said this finish and bonding is fine for all the other tiles :(
over board :) View attachment 81727 View attachment 81728

There some rough plastering there...I started laughing sorry:confused:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would get yourself some 6mm Hardi-backer and glue/mechanically fix them with screws to those walls, no waiting time and very solid walls although a bit time consuming initially, that's how I would tackle it, if thickness is not a problem then use 12mm screwed into brick/blockwork and skim with rapid tile adhesive to take any curves out in both scenarios.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Walls crumbling all over the place. Owner got it plastered today for £260. I did some prep work yesterday plus a few other bits around the house. I lose 1 day but hey ho. Started drinking Theakstons old peculiar a bit early today!

Reply to Walls Plasrered Before Tiling - Not in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen