Discuss Walk In Shower (wetroom), Trying to build one - Looking for some tips in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wau5

Thank you guys, at least you told me straight up that making it from ply is total crap, not like other guys who just who will say- try and see and think to themselves- that idiot is in for a surprise :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thanks :D well..I'm still in a planing process for a week before I get some time off to actualy get on with it, It's not like I don't want to make it perfect and make it to last- I actually do hence doing my research on how to actually do it.

I have watched some more YT videos ( again USA ones, as seems like everyone in UK just uses the already made formers or the plastic tubs) and I see they use a mortar bed which they just make themselves making the level as needed instead of a former.
I guess I could up my budget if i had small/standard size area which I want to convert and buy the cheaper formers not those branded ones, however due to odd size of it It would cost me an arm and a leg to do it that way..

I don't see why it should cost you an arm and a leg. My shower is 1200x1500 and I am designing a seat into it so her indoors can sit and shave her toes... I could no find a standard centre drain former at 1200 x 1500 so have gone for a 1200x1200 former and will use an extension piece using 20mm construction board. I am also going to extens it slightly to the side under the door so the tiles extend beyond the shower door. Deffo not standard. That plus 16 10mm construction boards (marmox) cost me less than £300. The nuance boards were the most costly bit at just under £100 each but they are cheaper than the tiles we wanted and for me much faster to install. If you decide to build your own shower base with sand and cement make sure you put fibres and a water reducing plasticiser in it to help avoid cracking.

As I said the whole thing, bear in mind for me this is a back to brick renovation...I forgot to include the cost of a new window in the list above... the shower is just under £2k which I think is pretty cheap.

buy aggressively, buy sensibly and don't skimp on quality e.g. use 18mm plywood for the base not 12mm as I was advised would be sufficient in topps tiles... LOL... I haven't bought anything from them in the end.

D

Dumbo

I don't see why it should cost you an arm and a leg. My shower is 1200x1500 and I am designing a seat into it so her indoors can sit and shave her toes... I could no find a standard centre drain former at 1200 x 1500 so have gone for a 1200x1200 former and will use an extension piece using 20mm construction board. I am also going to extens it slightly to the side under the door so the tiles extend beyond the shower door. Deffo not standard. That plus 16 10mm construction boards (marmox) cost me less than £300. The nuance boards were the most costly bit at just under £100 each but they are cheaper than the tiles we wanted and for me much faster to install. If you decide to build your own shower base with sand and cement make sure you put fibres and a water reducing plasticiser in it to help avoid cracking.

As I said the whole thing, bear in mind for me this is a back to brick renovation...I forgot to include the cost of a new window in the list above... the shower is just under £2k which I think is pretty cheap.

buy aggressively, buy sensibly and don't skimp on quality e.g. use 18mm plywood for the base not 12mm as I was advised would be sufficient in topps tiles... LOL... I haven't bought anything from them in the end.
I wouldn't ask anyone in topps for advice as I don't expect they have ever done the job . Just regurgitating what they've heard somebody else say .

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask anyone in topps for advice as I don't expect they have ever done the job . Just regurgitating what they've heard somebody else say .

the buy who used to run my local Topps where I used to live owned a car parts shop previously... used to make me laugh. I guess everyone has to work somewhere eh.

O

Old Mod

Thank you guys, at least you told me straight up that making it from ply is total crap, not like other guys who just who will say- try and see and think to themselves- that idiot is in for a surprise :D
Whilst we enjoy enthusiastic and passionate posts
@wau5 , this is a family show!
Language Timothy!!

D

Dumbo

Holmes on Homes, great show! If ever anyone was belt and braces it's Mike Holmes.
Watch him strengthen a floor once . Pretty British standards . Also did you ever see that heat Matt that was templated for and it was pretty much cable between 2 sheets of scrim. Stuck down with c2 then latexed over. No cables coming up through latex there .

W

wau5

ok what do you guys say about building the frame/everything from 18mm wpb plywood as my floor is on wooden joists so I'm not really sure how stable a cement pour/shape would be, but laying all the plywood construction in a fiberglass so it's more stable and totally waterproof?

Reply to Walk In Shower (wetroom), Trying to build one - Looking for some tips in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay