Discuss Victorian geometric on NoMorePly in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunchofapes

Hello

An opiion on the following would be appreciated!

I have recently laid an original Minton Floor in my bathroom on no more ply.. It has worked very well and I had no probelms...

Anyway I have a more intricate Craven Dunnill floor that was removed from my hallway due to damp. The damp is cured and the previous owners had it concreted and 80's tiles laid in it.

My problem is the Craven Dunnill floor will probably take a day to lay a sq meter (350+ tiles per..) Then I got to thinking of what a reclamation guy had told me about geometric floors. He said they sometimes brought them pre laid on sheets...

So my question is: Is it feasible to cut the no more ply sheets to fit the hallway and have it in, say 3ft squares. Then lay the tiles to the no more ply (thusly being able to do it bit by bit and not disruspt hallway access). Then transfer the sheets of no mpre ply with tiles on and lay to the concrete.

Is that mad?!

Its a great floor but I would need to do it as a hobby over time, thus the questions!

Comments please!

Dave

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Not 100% sure I understand Dave, do you mean you want to pre-tile the no more ply? if so how would you fix it. I tend to glue and screw backer boards. I can see some problems:thumbsup:

B

bunchofapes

HI Phil

Cheers for the reply

Yes that is my suggestion... I haven't looked at fixing no more ply to concrete in much depth. It has a cement screed over top and should hopefully be flat.

I hoped to fix tiles to board in say 1m sq, possibly leaving a few tiles out of the pattern to screw to concrete (and glue or whatever the no more ply suggests...)

It may be a bit mad, but if it works...!

Dave

D

DHTiling

Seen as backer boards are not mechanically fixed to a solid substrate as in screeds etc then it is feasible.. BUT not something i would try :)

T

The D

why not try getting some gum paper and pre fixing the the tiles to that just like paper faced mosaics *

M

Marble Life Ltd

Wouldn't there be a weight issue lifting a metre of tiles fixed on a board?

Kev
Marble Life Ltd

G

grumpygrouter

You would need to fix the boards to the floor with such precision not to give variations in the grout joints between board joints if you see what I mean. I don't really think it would be possible to do and get a pleasing result. Why can't you tile straight to the screed or have I missed something?

B

bunchofapes

Thanks for all the replys so far...!

Weight issues there may be... But I reckon that could be overcome...

In resonse to grumpy grouter, my issue is time! I wanted to be able to do this at a leaisurly pace, whist nt disrupting acess to the house... I fugured if this was at all feasible then it may be an idea!

I understand the precision factor and what you are saying. Its a defininte issue... I will think on.

All this is basically so I can re lay the floor in an non-disruptive manner...

I really do want to relay it, but cant take a month off work! hmmm

An image of next doors, so hopefully it illustrates why I want to do it!

P1030151.jpg

M

Mike

when you tile it you can still use the hallway with out too much disruption, as you say you'll only be doing a m2 a day so thats not too far to step over or cover with a board till the adhesive has set. i think you're risking failure by wanting to tile on a board then fixing it down.

Reply to Victorian geometric on NoMorePly in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay