Search the forum,

Discuss Vanilla marble floor tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
Has any of you guys laid this product currently sold by tile giant.

I would appreciate any advice from any experienced layers as we are looking into putting down 170 m2 of this or similar type stone over underfloor heating next yr.

Also what should I be looking at paying per m2 for a job this size...

thanks in advance.....:thumbsup:

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
Has any of you guys laid this product currently sold by tile giant.

I would appreciate any advice from any experienced layers as we are looking into putting down 170 m2 of this or similar type stone over underfloor heating next yr.

Also what should I be looking at paying per m2 for a job this size...

thanks in advance.....:thumbsup:

ok sorry about the cost part to the question.

would still be interested in hearing from any layers who may have laid this marble for their opinions.

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
I guess it is but it's nice to get a opinion if someone has laid a large area of this tile as we are planning 170 m2 of it as to the quality of the marble for comparison but if marble is marble then there's no answer?

it will be down to preference I guess...

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Jupiter UFH supply a tile which is laid over there system about 20 mm thick and you just tile straight onto this for a finished floor.
the original floor is suspended timber floor 225 x 45 joist 400 centres the tile they supply is grouted together with an adhesive and they guarantee the substrate for tiling onto.

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Yes the screed replacement tile is what you go straight on to it German so good quality! So they tell me?
This is what we will tile straight on to or rather the tiler will when I find the right one who is use to large areas.
as for the marble I guess it's what it is..

P

Pebbs

Kelvin, Marble is not just marble, there are a multitude of different grades, and 'vanilla' marble is in actual fact a made up name, given to it by the company selling it. That in itself sends alarm bells ringing of in my head because its normally used when a company is importing chinese 'lookalike' material. Also you have to me very aware that whoever you employ to lay the marble has to have experience of marble laying as it is certainly not the same as laying ceramics. Also if the marble is to be laid over one open area, then they will have to be able to advise you on the use of expansion joints. Are you going to be looking at a large format size? and what joint size would you like to have. The larger the overall size of the marble the thicker it has to be or it is prone to curving and that will result in lippage. For an area of this size I would be ensuring that all the marble is coming from one block for colour matching. Mass retailers will sell you a product, with no undertaking that the marble in box (a) will match any in the next box. If you have a photograph, I may be able to identify the marble for you and that would be your starting point.

Kind Regards

Pebbs

kelvin

TF
Reaction score
Kelvin, Marble is not just marble, there are a multitude of different grades, and 'vanilla' marble is in actual fact a made up name, given to it by the company selling it. That in itself sends alarm bells ringing of in my head because its normally used when a company is importing chinese 'lookalike' material. Also you have to me very aware that whoever you employ to lay the marble has to have experience of marble laying as it is certainly not the same as laying ceramics. Also if the marble is to be laid over one open area, then they will have to be able to advise you on the use of expansion joints. Are you going to be looking at a large format size? and what joint size would you like to have. The larger the overall size of the marble the thicker it has to be or it is prone to curving and that will result in lippage. For an area of this size I would be ensuring that all the marble is coming from one block for colour matching. Mass retailers will sell you a product, with no undertaking that the marble in box (a) will match any in the next box. If you have a photograph, I may be able to identify the marble for you and that would be your starting point.

Kind Regards

Pebbs

Hi,
thanks for all the info regarding to the marble.
I'm not sure of the origin of the tile I have asked the store to confirm this.
I can see your point about making sure the right person for the jobs employed due to the material to be used ,as for the area of tiles approx 170 m2 if we do go for this it will be a random pattern large to middle format.
I don't have a picture of the product but it is listed on the Internet under vanilla marble on various websites including tile giant who I'm talking to about the stone.

The product will be laid directly to a clay tile above UFH system as described in the previous posts giving a total floor thickness inc tile approx 32 mm above a timber suspended floor.

K.

Reply to Vanilla marble floor tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen