Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I haven't told him to tile onto 6mm Ply. We've only just found out it is 6mm Ply!?! The guy I work with used to tile on 6mm ply, and I know for a fact it doesn't work! ;)

T

The D

Who says he's advised 6mm Ply!?! The impression I get, is that he's advised 15mm Ply, but they want to try this first. If he's going to get paid to do it twice, because they refuse to listen, good luck to him.
as for having a problem Deano, I'm no sad *** Internet warrior, you fill your boots mate. ;)
How does what I said make you come out with that sort of rubbish???? I never said you was a sad *** internet warrior read my post againand then wind your neck in

Reaction score
the ply can not be removed. The wrong adhesive was used originally. The job simply means applying the correct adhesive. Although I am a flooring professional, I am not a tiler so wondering how important it is to remove remains of old adhesive. I know what the theory may say but I am wanting practical experience on this matter.

I'm not sure it makes any difference who says who said what.
We all know how to do basic prep to a bathroom floor.

Facts are:

1) Floor has failed
2) OP reckons its only the adhesive to fault. But both he and we all know 6mm ply isn't correct, and isn't helping.
3) A flooring pro - but not a tiler is doing the prep and the tiling.

but more concerning for me is
I know what the theory may say but I am wanting practical experience on this matter

The practical experience that is wanted is only for if and how much adhesive to scrape from the 6mm ply?

So IMHO, its someone earning a dollar doing a job they shouldn't really be doing. Maybe at the expense of a good quality tiler who lives round the corner, but is struggling to find work, for whatever reasons it could be.

I might be totally wrong though!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

If I could just put my two penny worth in here, I wonder how many people on this forum know who Deano is?

I don't want to embarrass Dean, but I feel he is not receiving the respect he deserves, the respect he has earned over many years in this industry.

Dean is a time served tiler (a master craftsman) imo, he was a lecturer at south Birmingham College for seven years.

He is currently a consultant for City & Guilds criteria. At the same time being a very sought after tiler running his own business.

This guy is the real deal, having won jotm comp, and joty title, I would never argue with Dean.

I respect him as a great tiler and a all round good guy, so I think unless you can match Dean's qualifications, I would be tempted to keep quiet until you feel you may know more about tiling than he does. Just want to set the record straight.

We can all be tiling superstars on forums, think about it.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
How does what I said make you come out with that sort of rubbish???? I never said you was a sad *** internet warrior read my post againand then wind your neck in

This has all got a little out of hand!?! I wasn't accusing you of saying anything Deano. In fact, I don't even know if your comments were directed at me personally!?! What I was saying, was that I don't have a problem with you having an opinion. I don't get all stressed and argumentative over a post on a forum. It wasn't meant as an attack on you, but if that's how it came across, I apologise mate. ;)

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If I could just put my two penny worth in here, I wonder how many people on this forum know who Deano is?

I don't want to embarrass Dean, but I feel he is not receiving the respect he deserves, the respect he has earned over many years in this industry.

Dean is a time served tiler (a master craftsman) imo, he was a lecturer at south Birmingham College for seven years.

He is currently a consultant for City & Guilds criteria. At the same time being a very sought after tiler running his own business.

This guy is the real deal, having won jotm comp, and joty title, I would never argue with Dean.

I respect him as a great tiler and a all round good guy, so I think unless you can match Dean's qualifications, I would be tempted to keep quiet until you feel you may know more about tiling than he does. Just want to set the record straight.

Nobody's arguing with Dean!?! And your post, although interesting, wouldn't be relevant anyway, as I certainly wasn't disagreeing with him on tiling method!?!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Nobody's arguing with Dean!?! And your post, although interesting, wouldn't be relevant anyway, as I certainly wasn't disagreeing with him on tiling method!?!

My post was not getting at you mate, I just wanted to let people know who Dean is.

i hope my posts are relevant, or am I wasting my time?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
My post was not getting at you mate, I just wanted to let people know who Dean is.

i hope my posts are relevant, or am I wasting my time?

Ah fair enough.. Seems to be an evening of misunderstandings lol!

and your posts are always relevant Phil, my bad. ;)

G

Gazzer

Sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, Thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." The man in the tile shop/Diy store said it was ok " What does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/Builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

S

Stef

& here I thought Dean had learned off of a weeks training course & was just starting out!!

afright

TF
Reaction score
sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." the man in the tile shop/diy store said it was ok " what does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

hear,hear !

W

White Room

Sometimes you can read something here and see it as one way or another, Thats the trouble with text.
As for 6mm ply, its wrong , completely wrong but sometimes clients dont want to hear that....." The man in the tile shop/Diy store said it was ok " What does the tiler know over a member of sales staff/Builder/plumber/next doors dog etc ??? I could go on :mad2:

Times I've had argue my case against advise from a spotty oik working a diy centre....

Reply to Tling over old tile adhesive in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks