Search the forum,

Discuss Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

ythan

Re: Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor hea

mz30 - welcome any comment on my last post above re the sand/cement bedding.

is this a job you'd have simply walked away from?

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score

No i wouldnt walk away until i had all the facts,from what has been posted by the o/p the chance of failure is there but does not mean it will fail,there is a chance on every instalation of failure regardless of measures taken, as tradesmen we have to eliminate as many foreseable problems as possible.

Unfortunately a lot of guys on here put the cart before the horse and say everything they disagree with is destined for failure and then the people reading it think i'll post the same and i'll be right,always a problem with forums.

M

Martino

Jobs like this are fairley simple to me.....give the customer a quote to rip up old and fit new....if they say no.....so be it :)....at the end of the day customers WILL always get cheaper!.......BEER money some people work for these days and these are customers u dont want!

R

raylincs

Hi All
I thought I would post an update.
After speaking to the builder who built the customers extension, the Screed isn't weak, a misunderstanding by the customer.

I have spoken and have an email from the Tech Dept of Kerakoll Adhesives and given them all the info regarding this job and they have reconmmended and confirmed that I should:
Clean & dry the floor, use Keragrip Eco Primer, and then affix the Porcelain Tiles with Marmorex Adhesive, Grout with either Fugalite Eco Grout (never stain/shade etc 2part) or Fugabella Eco 0-5 (cement based grout).

Many thanks for all the replies.

Y

ythan

never used kerakoll marmorex so i'll be interested to hear how you get on. i guess it must be similar to bal's single part fastflex but maybe lower cost?

R

raylincs

Hi ythan
I'm also getting Kerakoll to come out and spec the job, which will hopefully be next week, so i'll keep you updated.
Yes their Marmorex is similar to Bal Single Part at about £XX per 25kg bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

ythan

raylincs
please note that bal do a single part flexible and also a single part fastflex.
the single part fastflex is much more expensive than the single part flexible, but it has much more flexibility to cope with under floor heating.
Bal single part fastflex costs about £XX per 12.5kg bag. Bal single part flexible is about £XX per 20kg bag. That's a big difference in bal products but justified i think.

but Is marmorex as good as single part fastflex?? and only costs £XX per 25kg bag??? blimey.

R

raylincs

Hi All
Just an update:
I have had a site visit from the Kerakoll area Rep, who couldn't have been more helpful :thumbsup:. He has confirmed and as long as I follow their directions, they will guarantee their products for tiling on top of the Karndean :hurray::

Quote:
I can confirm that after visiting the site on 30th November,
Tiling to the existing Karndean flooring:

The Karndean must be well bonded to the subfloor and clean from any dirt / grease etc...
The recommendation/Specification from Kerakoll is :-
1)Kerakoll - Keragrip Eco (Primer for non porous substrates, to provide key)
2)Kerakoll - H40 Eco Marmorex (flexible/white/adhesive)
3)Kerakoll - Fugalite Eco (liquid ceramic grout, colour tbc)
4)Kerakoll - Fugabella Silicone, colour tbc.

I might also add, after my local tile supplier contacted Bal, and their Tech Dept have comeback and confirmed that:
Quote:
If the floor is in a domestic area or in an area of limited foot traffic and the Karndean flooring is well bonded to the existing substrate, clean and in good condition, it can be tiled using Bal single part fastflex.

I hope this helps anyone who may come up against the same problemas I have :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular (sometimes not so popular) threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

Reply to Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen