Discuss tiling over old tile adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

PVA just dries into a thin skin, and its ok at sticking pasta to coloured sheets of paper but that's about it. Think about when you get it on your hands, to get it off you just let it dry and easily peel it off.

Do you really want something so easy to peel off your hand to be the only thing holding adhesive, and therefore the tiles to the wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Martino

But then why do plasterers use it on a ceiling?...its the same principle? it dries thin and its the only thing holding the plaster up?

S

steve6710

p.v.a. is used for plastering as it theoretically should never get wet again to the degree tiles in a bathroom or kitchen may. if you paint pva onto pretty much any surface and let it dry for a day, a week, a month or a year it will seem fine untill you wet it. it then turns back to the sticky liquid you started with. plasterers like myself use pva which is the accepted practice but what happens when you have a rising damp problem or a roof or window leak?..... your plaster loses it bond 9 out of 10 .
as another example i am a fisherman who uses pva bags to fill with bait which i attach to the hook, when in the water the pva dissolves and only the bait is left for the fish.
a couple of tests you can do to see the values of pva are: pva a hard surface 6 square inch let it dry - you can sand wood with it
:pva a hard surface - leave it a day to dry - wet it and touch it- sticky again!slip slide!
sbr is for tiling primer or external plasterwork(render) as it is a latex skin which can handle getting wet again - pva aint bad in the right application if it was for tony hart and morph or blue blue peter it wouldnt be sold at builders merchants i would guess!

S

steve6710

sorry to add to previous thread, apply basic sand to the wet pva and allow to dry to make sand paper for the first test i mentioned

Reply to tiling over old tile adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay