Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over backing paper. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

andy-h

priced a job up for a friend at w/end b/room walls but parts of the walls still have backing paper on them & he cant be bothered to remove so i told im i'll remove for a price but he wants me just to till over,tiles are 600x300 ceramics would it be ok to tile over paper its well stuck.

D

dock

andy-h

NOT A CHANCE

paper probably stuck with pva based wall paper adhesive so tile adhesive will probably reactivate it then you will have over 20Kg/M2 of tiles and adhesive hanging off it!!!!

Not a good move. Tell your friend to remove it because if you tile it its an expensive way of stripping the walls and preparing them to be tiled properly

dock

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Andy, one of my first tilng jobs was to tile a kitchen that the customer had only painted about 1 week before I was to tile it. The customer told me it was ok to tile onto paint. I got a wet sponge and held it to the wall for about 90 seconds. The fresh paint turned back into soggy wet paint. Just imagine if I had tiled onto this surface. i.e. adhesive is wet.......and tiles are heavy. I spent a day sanding the paint off. The same would apply to backing paper. Cheers Sean

Reply to tiling over backing paper. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen