Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling floor preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Thanks all
So the following has been agreed to be carried out

6mm tile backer to be fixed in staggered joints leaving a gap for expansion around the perimeter

Tile backer to be primed All sides for belt and braces and peace of mind with bal sbr bond

As its a suspended timber floor, a flexible adhesive will be used to secure the boards with 40mm screws every 200mm

Tile backer scrim tape to be used for the butted joints between the boards

Out of interest does the concrete floor side need to be primed?

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Concrete needs primed also yes.

Can you just confirm what backerboard you are using. Just to make sure you are getting the correct advice here. for e.g. no more ply uses a tubed adhesive out a gun.

Reaction score
Concrete needs primed also yes.

Can you just confirm what backerboard you are using. Just to make sure you are getting the correct advice here. for e.g. no more ply uses a tubed adhesive out a gun.

Looking at the invoice it states 1220x1200x6mm multi pro moist sure tile backer

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
multi pro moist sure tile backer

OK thanks, I have tiled to these boards before, they are quite nice to work with. similar to BAL boards. I think i actually read before they could be made for BAL by them? Anyway they do require priming and they actually state they tested with BAL primer.

The rough side of the board should face up also.

Reaction score
OK thanks, I have tiled to these boards before, they are quite nice to work with. similar to BAL boards. I think i actually read before they could be made for BAL by them? Anyway they do require priming and they actually state they tested with BAL primer.

The rough side of the board should face up also.

Great thanks Tony will Bal bond sbr be the right product? Is there any harm by any by priming all the sides? Or should it just be the underside?

What screws do you recommend? and what intervals should they be fixed at for this board?

Can grab adhesive be used to secure the boards in addition to the screws? Or should a particular type of adhesive be used?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Great thanks Tony will Bal bond sbr be the right product? Is there any harm by any by priming all the sides? Or should it just be the underside?

What screws do you recommend? and what intervals should they be fixed at for this board?

Can grab adhesive be used to secure the boards in addition to the screws? Or should a particular type of adhesive be used?

BAL bond SBR will be fine so long as its suitable with the adhesive being used.

Only side that requires priming is the top side.

200mm intervals on this board the manual states. if you google
multi pro moist sure tile backer you will find their site with fitting guide.

Cement based adhesive below it, not a grab adhesive.

I personally use Reisser Cutter screws from toolstation for my boards 4 x 25mm

Reaction score
BAL bond SBR will be fine so long as its suitable with the adhesive being used.

Only side that requires priming is the top side.

200mm intervals on this board the manual states. if you google
multi pro moist sure tile backer you will find their site with fitting guide.

Cement based adhesive below it, not a grab adhesive.

I personally use Reisser Cutter screws from toolstation for my boards 4 x 25mm

Top side being where the tiles will be fixed on?

I read elsewhere just the edges and the underside should only be primed and not the top?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yeah top side being the side the tiles are being laid to.

Can't say i've ever heard of a backer board needing primed underneath, ply yes but can't say i've ever done that.

Their fitting guide does say to do the sides of the boards, cant say ive ever done that. Google and download the fitting guide for your own peace of mind though :thumbsup:

L

LM

Multi pro is BAL board and has been on the market for many more years, it’s made in the same factory. You only need to prime the surface to be tiled with an acrylic or sbr diluted accordingly. The adhesive underneath is to prevent compression on an uneven surface, the screws hold it down. There’s no need to prime the edges as moisture ingress won’t effect its composition.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Multi pro is BAL board and has been on the market for many more years, it’s made in the same factory. You only need to prime the surface to be tiled with an acrylic or sbr diluted accordingly. The adhesive underneath is to prevent compression on an uneven surface, the screws hold it down. There’s no need to prime the edges as moisture ingress won’t effect its composition.

I knew i had read that before and i think it came from you in another post as i remember looking into the board, It is quite hard to get here, the stuff was shipped up from down south for the job i used it on.

L

LM

I knew i had read that before and i think it came from you in another post as i remember looking into the board, It is quite hard to get here, the stuff was shipped up from down south for the job i used it on.
As with most things BAL somebody else gets to spend years trialing it before the put their name to it #flexbone.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
As with most things BAL somebody else gets to spend years trialing it before the put their name to it #flexbone.
Haha, the rep at CTD flat out admitted it was the ardex product that has been across the pond for a while... 🤣

Reply to Tiling floor preparation in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks