Discuss Tiling around windows and doors in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

superoz83

Hi all, this is my first post and second big bathroom job (sort of DIY level!). First one went ok, but i had a bit of trouble getting my tiles to match up at the top after tiling up both sides of windows and doors. Any tips on how to do this?

My current job has a window and a door, both smack bang in the middle of their respectives walls so arranging cuts is a bit easier, but any further setting out that you can advise me of would be greatly appreciated?

Keep up the good work by the way, the info on here is awesome and has been by bible through a few sticky situations!

A

aph257

as you tile up keep checking the grout lines match either side of door/window, etc by using spirit level.

G

Gazzer

Use a level for horizontal and vertical. When you have tiled under the window, plumb lines up the wall from 1st full joint either side of the window . Take a measurement too from the 1st full tile joint on one side of the window to the 1st full joint on the other side of the window. This measurement should be the same above the window. Alway use a good level and make sure your tiles follow the level lines you have drawn on to the wall.

D

david campbell

make sure the lintol over the window is level,if it isn't then your cuts over the window will gradually increase/decrease in size upwards from the trim,if you try and keep them the same then it won't tie in.
as long as the room is levelled with a datum then it should make life easier:thumbsup:

M

Mike

do the wall with the door last, you can always cheat above the door if there is any variation in the levels of the walls either side of it:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

all good advice above, make sure the tiles on your focal points are centred and cuts are symmetrcal

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above, datum line work to a module ( in my case a staff) as doug says, set out to give symmetrical pleasing look.:thumbsup: try to get large cuts where possible.

T

The D

if you pm me your email i will send you a power point of the setting out for a window and doorway.:thumbsup:

S

superoz83

Just in from work, can't believe the number of replies, all giving cracking advice!

Looking forward to putting into practice, can't thank you all enough, the response and information was even better than I expected.

Thanks again.

Oz

Reply to Tiling around windows and doors in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks