Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Around All 4 Walls and Keeping Things Level in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

TheAofT

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm going to go a bit @timeless john on you and suggest you go on a tiling course because the sort of questions you are asking on this forum would suggest you don' have the basic fundamentals of tiling and you are trying to pass yourself of as a professional . Sorry to be negative but it's how I see it .
Totally agree with you

U

Unused Account 1

Set the main wall out ,batten up,leave a gap either end of the battens so you can come of the tile that you have fitted onto the next wall and so on

T

Time's Ran Out

@jcrtiling - I agree with your comment about unskilled people charging for a professional job, but I’ve never recommended anyone go on a course to learn my trade!
In this instance @Weebisto is practicing on his own property so fair play to learn, but better if put in the DIY section.
Thanks for the mention though as I was feeling a bit lonely sitting eating my mince pie and coffee.

W

Weebisto

I'm going to go a bit @timeless john on you and suggest you go on a tiling course because the sort of questions you are asking on this forum would suggest you don' have the basic fundamentals of tiling and you are trying to pass yourself of as a professional . Sorry to be negative but it's how I see it .
Hi all thanks for your comments. All really helpful. @timeless john I totally take on board your suggestions about going on a tiling course as it seems like I don't have a grasp of the fundamentals. I've been on a course and for the last few months I've been restricting myself to splash backs, single walls and floors. My pricing has reflected my level of experience and I've been open with people I've done work for. I took on a bigger job - full bathroom - and nothing was level or square and, as I alluded to, it didn't end well as it was a step too far too soon. I'll openly admit that and it cost me money to get it put right. In terms of my grasp of fundamentals, if I didn't have a grasp of the whole thing I wouldn't have been able to do what I've done already but it's absolutely fair to say I clearly didn't have a grasp of going around the four walls which is why I've asked the question here. If I can get a steer from you guys and practice that at home to get my confidence up it will be a huge steps forward. I have also arranged to do a couple of weeks free labour with a local experienced tiler early in new year to get hands on training in the fields I agree that it's wrong to try to pass yourself off as an experienced professional but everyone has to start somewhere.

T

Time's Ran Out

You see I get credit when it’s not due!
Must be an age thing - got to look after the pensioners.

T

Tommcd

Invest in a cheap laser level and tripod. Can also be useful for setting out floors and no end of diy applications. Stanley cubix is adequate for tiling

Reaction score
Check, check and check again. the level of the floors, ceilings, baths and shower trays. Never assume anything is level. Take into account anything that runs out when setting out the layout. I very rarely use batten now ( I measure and cut the bottom row from a level line and 'fine tune' with the small plastic wedges). But 'battening off' around the room will help the horizontal grout joints to marry up. Just keep checking with a level as you go and watch out for pipes and wire's when fixing batten, you can get tile tracker systems that don't require mechanical fixings but have personally never used them. Good luck in the new year and hopfully the tiler you work for can explain anything you may not be fully confident with and show you the ropes a little.

H

Handyeire

Check, check and check again. the level of the floors, ceilings, baths and shower trays. Never assume anything is level. Take into account anything that runs out when setting out the layout. I very rarely use batten now ( I measure and cut the bottom row from a level line and 'fine tune' with the small plastic wedges). But 'battening off' around the room will help the horizontal grout joints to marry up. Just keep checking with a level as you go and watch out for pipes and wire's when fixing batten, you can get tile tracker systems that don't require mechanical fixings but have personally never used them. Good luck in the new year and hopfully the tiler you work for can explain anything you may not be fully confident with and show you the ropes a little.

Ive never started from the bottom. Reason being, i always want the wall tile to be ontop of the floor tile. If start on bottom, this is not achievable! I would use battens or a tile tracker thou sometimes the tile tracker can be a pain in the arse with all them fiddly bits. Also have the rubi level system but again, bit fiddly

Reply to Tiling Around All 4 Walls and Keeping Things Level in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen