Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Around All 4 Walls and Keeping Things Level in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Weebisto

Hey guys, being relatively new to tiling professionally and having taken on a job that was honestly a step too far too soon, I have been concentrating on floors and single walls and have built up my confidence again. I am gonna practice at home doing four walls in small wc. My question to you seasoned pros is if - as is likely - the four walls are not exactly level and exactly square, although I have developed my technique for getting my starting square point on one wall and working from there, what is the trick for extending that around the other three walls so that all the grout lines meet?
May sound basic but is pretty fundamental. Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Establish your datum starting point and then either use a level or laser (or both) and work to this to ensure consistent levels. If required, use a batten to tile from.

What did you do previously with regards to levels?

W

Wes

Hi weebisto use a couple of different size of levels 4ft,6ft,2ft whichever fits in room transfer level line from one wall continue round room or use laser if you have one. Take a couple of courses round at a time so that your confident that everything's lining up nicely.double check level on tiles every now and again. Hope it goes well keep us posted. Hope this helps.

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Check to find the lowest point in the floor before setting battens around the room.

Also, dont take it for granted that your battens although may be 'level' might not be perfectly straight, so after laying your first row, put a level across the top of the tiles to check overall level, but also use as a straight edge to check the tiles meet the straight edge. I've been using mini tile wedges recently to shim and make small adjustments. Over the course of several rows, little discrepancies can cause larger errors.

Last edited:
J

Just Rizzle

the first thing i always do is set a datum line around the room usually a meter from the lowest point in the floor from this you can work all your levels the second is to centre your walls this will allow u to work out your cuts top bottom left and right. these are lines to measure from not always to start from.
also get good levels and of various sizes

Reaction score
This reminds me of when working in a tile shop many moons ago
When a customer asked our advice about his problem
It seems he just started at one point and just tiled around till he met the starting point
Seemed he did not put a datum around the room so when he got back to the starting point the tiles and border tiles were about 20mm above where he started :oops:

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
This reminds me of when working in a tile shop many moons ago
When a customer asked our advice about his problem
It seems he just started at one point and just tiled around till he met the starting point
Seemed he did not put a datum around the room so when he got back to the starting point the tiles and border tiles were about 20mm above where he started :oops:

That's the classic. Seen plenty of pics of similar scenario with picture rails etc

Reply to Tiling Around All 4 Walls and Keeping Things Level in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen