Discuss Tiling around a slightly un level bath in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rufus the tiler

Whatever your set out ends up there are three horizontal surfaces to consider:
1. the top of the bath,
2. the ceiling and
3. the floor or top of skirting below the basin (assuming the tiling goes down this low below the basin).
(4. if the tiles are to tuck under the end of the bath also consider this).

First of all check that your spirit level is working correctly (most sold are out in my opinion). place it on a surface that reads level and then lift the level and replace it the other way round - if your level is good it will read level again; if the bubble is now off centre then that is the inaccuracy in your level. (anyone buying a level should do this in the shop before purchasing, you will probably reject a dozen before finding one that is accurate!).

With a working level I would then find the lowest point in the bath top and mark the wall 1 tile plus about 3mm (silicone joint) up from this point. I would then extend this line around all three walls. Using a tape measure or gauge staff I would then check what the cuts to all parts of the ceiling and down to the floor/skirting would be if this was the line equivalent to the top of a tile. I would also check how much if any needed to be cut of this "bottom" tile to fit in along other parts of the bath top. Note that if a few mm need to be trimmed from some of the tiles over the bath top it will be easier and quicker to drop the line and cut a cm or more off them all. Likewise if the cuts to the ceiling are aesthetically to small then reduce the size of the tile over the bath to make them larger. The cut above the bath needs to be as large as possible (its the most vulnerable wet area) but balanced with the other cuts to give a pleasing overall appearance. With all this info (if necessary) mark a new line below the first test line which will be the top of the first row of cuts above the bath.

Personally I would cut and fit this first row (packed up off the bath top) and then fit the rest of the wall. Alternatively fix a batten to the wall/line and then tile the wall above; when set remove the batten and cut and fit the tiles below.

R

rufus the tiler

If you measure up from the lowest part of the bath size of a tile and add 3mm silicone joint and the bath starts to rise slightly you will be left with the annoying task of having to shave tiles with grinder or wet cutter ....best if possible to try and leave a cut that is achievable on the manual cutter.
:)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Most of the cheap crap I have to work too in new builds are like bananas, level at the two ends and internals and they could be out as much as 5-7mm in the middle :confused:
you should tile level from end to end if there a 7 mm gap in the middle call back the people who supplied the bath and ask them them to explain its there problem not yours .dont make it yours and let them get away with it .or the next time you will be to dealing with 10 to 12 mm give them an inch they will take a mile show there sh45t for what it is .or be a mug all your working life

L

LM

you should tile level from end to end if there a 7 mm gap in the middle call back the people who supplied the bath and ask them them to explain its there problem not yours .dont make it yours and let them get away with it .or the next time you will be to dealing with 10 to 12 mm give them an inch they will take a mile show there sh45t for what it is .or be a mug all your working life
I've tried that Ray believe me and the reality over here in the dark ages is that it's all last minute rushing for a hand over that's looming and all I get back from thick builders is will you stop crying and just do your best with ito_O
I can't argue too much because most of the time I'll be owed about 3 months money on typically 3-4 sites from any one builder.
It's seems to be OK to accept sh*+e materials and for the subby to have to work magic :mad:.
I have a reputation now as a crying **** and it's a case of do your best or go away, and this place isn't London! Sometimes there's not a lot happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crumbs

Thanks for the replies lads, vast of information and learning new tricks everyday; i'm not going to attempt to level the bath, access is very limited and its not that bad, spirit level is in the two lines just more one side.

I will level a batten as rufus says about 1/2-3/4 a tile up i think which gives plenty of room for variations with easy cuts.

Im going to do brickbond layout, any tips on what cuts should i go for on the ends, 1/4 and 3/4 ?s

On a row with 1/4 cut, on the joining wall would i put another 1/4 cut and the same for the 3/4 row? or 1/4 cut with a 3/4 on the joining wall row? Not keen on using full tile on the edges as the verticals are shot.

Much appreciated :rolleyes::rolleyes:

C

Crumbs

Thanks for the replies lads, vast of information and learning new tricks everyday; i'm not going to attempt to level the bath, access is very limited and its not that bad, spirit level is in the two lines just more one side.

I will level a batten as rufus says about 1/2-3/4 a tile up i think which gives plenty of room for variations with easy cuts.

Im going to do brickbond layout, any tips on what cuts should i go for on the ends, 1/4 and 3/4 ?s

On a row with 1/4 cut, on the joining wall would i put another 1/4 cut and the same for the 3/4 row? or 1/4 cut with a 3/4 on the joining wall row? Not keen on using full tile on the edges as the verticals are shot.

R

rufus the tiler

Im going to do brickbond layout, any tips on what cuts should i go for on the ends, 1/4 and 3/4 ?s.

Reply to Tiling around a slightly un level bath in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay