Discuss Tiling around a slightly un level bath in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Crumbs

Hi, i am looking to tile around a shower over a bath. Walls are tanked and ready but i didnt consider the level of the bath. Using a spirit level the bath is slightly uneven or maybe the floor has dropped a little, the bubble is within the lines but more to one side.

Measuring from bath to ceiling it drops gradually over the length by 2-3 cms, i understand this maybe a uneven ceiling but the level is not quite right on the bath. To raise the bath is not really an option if i can get away with this variance.

I am presuming this is fairly common. What is the best way to approach tiling when the bath is like this? Tiles are 20x25, i am going to do a brickwall style when positioning tiles i think.

Appreciate the help :rolleyes::rolleyes:

R

Rickm34

Hi there. It depends on a number of factors. Is your bathroom fully tiled?. Or just round bath.? Is there a window? As this would help in order to set out the tiling properly. Also is your bath running out toward the plug end or the other end.? Will the water drain out of the bath.
Hi, i am looking to tile around a shower over a bath. Walls are tanked and ready but i didnt consider the level of the bath. Using a spirit level the bath is slightly uneven or maybe the floor has dropped a little, the bubble is within the lines but more to one side.

Measuring from bath to ceiling it drops gradually over the length by 2-3 cms, i understand this maybe a uneven ceiling but the level is not quite right on the bath. To raise the bath is not really an option if i can get away with this variance.

I am presuming this is fairly common. What is the best way to approa

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crumbs

Hi, not full bathroom - just around the bathtub and basin that is on the side to the bath. 3 walls in total.
No window in the bathroom that makes it a bit easier.

Lowest end is towards the plug end, no issue with draining in the bath at all, i think its been like this since we had the bath installed many moons ago.

My thoughts was to strike a line / fix a batton that is level for a full tile width up inc grout and 5mm for sealant, minus the lowest point vs highest point (2cm) That way as i tile in from low to high on the bottom row - i should end up with a full tile at the highest point and similar sealant / grout and the rest of the wall will then be straight.

Whats your thoughts? Cheers bud

R

Rickm34

Personally i would set out from the lowest point of the bath. I personally wouldnt baton it but put the level line on the first tile. Then cut to the level line. But that's just me. If you feel better battening then fine make sure you put vertical lines to keep the tiles plumb..

M

Mike ramsdale

^ yip, start full tile from lowest point then work to that level. A lazer level would make it easier for you

R

Rickm34

Personally i would set out from the lowest point of the bath. I personally wouldnt baton it but put the level line on the first tile. Then cut to the level line. But that's just me. If you feel better battening then fine make sure you put vertical lines to keep the tiles plumb..
It might not necessarily be full tile of the bath. Depends how it lands to the ceiling. Although with 25 x 20 your not going to have much to play with. If it lands a rip to the ceiling you could always Cove it

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't start full tile round the bath if it's not level........cut the tile, mark each end to allow for any discrepancies.....5mm gap for silicone is to much ...2mm at the most.

C

Crumbs

Thanks all - so plan is to find the horizontal centre and vertical centre using a gauge stick to work out cuts. Strike a level line less than a full tile height to account for the unlevel bath on the bottom row. Fix horizontal batton and tile the rest then do the bottom row cuts last

Does this sound about right ?? :rolleyes:

Naive question but is it best to work one wall at a time?
I am going to do the tiles brickwork style in terms of positioning, any tips as in ensuring the grout lines between the 3 walls line up. thanks guys :D

R

Rickm34

Thanks all - so plan is to find the horizontal centre and vertical centre using a gauge stick to work out cuts. Strike a level line less than a full tile height to account for the unlevel bath on the bottom row. Fix horizontal batton and tile the rest then do the bottom row cuts last

Does this sound about right ?? :rolleyes:

Naive question but is it best to work one wall at a time?
I am going to do the tiles brickwork style in terms of positioning, any tips as in ensuring the grout lines between the 3 walls line up. thanks guys :D
Put a level line round all three walls as well as vertical line on main bath wall centred . And work exact to the line. I find it easier completing a wall at a time with brickbond. key is keeping to your lines. 1 mm out and your joints will start opening or closing up. Remember to measure the the centre of a tile for your next row. So its exact. Then keep measuring the centre of the tile for your next row. If that makes sense. You can also put a vertical line on either end so it runs up the edge of the bath. Agin if you keep to lines your joints will meet unless your tiles are slightly different sizes in that case you may have to do some twiddling with the spacers

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rufus the tiler

level batten between half and 3 quarters of tile height(depending how tiles fall at ceiling) then tile up and when set take off batten and tile down to bath....this is the correct way.

S

SJPurdy

Whatever your set out ends up there are three horizontal surfaces to consider:
1. the top of the bath,
2. the ceiling and
3. the floor or top of skirting below the basin (assuming the tiling goes down this low below the basin).
(4. if the tiles are to tuck under the end of the bath also consider this).

First of all check that your spirit level is working correctly (most sold are out in my opinion). place it on a surface that reads level and then lift the level and replace it the other way round - if your level is good it will read level again; if the bubble is now off centre then that is the inaccuracy in your level. (anyone buying a level should do this in the shop before purchasing, you will probably reject a dozen before finding one that is accurate!).

With a working level I would then find the lowest point in the bath top and mark the wall 1 tile plus about 3mm (silicone joint) up from this point. I would then extend this line around all three walls. Using a tape measure or gauge staff I would then check what the cuts to all parts of the ceiling and down to the floor/skirting would be if this was the line equivalent to the top of a tile. I would also check how much if any needed to be cut of this "bottom" tile to fit in along other parts of the bath top. Note that if a few mm need to be trimmed from some of the tiles over the bath top it will be easier and quicker to drop the line and cut a cm or more off them all. Likewise if the cuts to the ceiling are aesthetically to small then reduce the size of the tile over the bath to make them larger. The cut above the bath needs to be as large as possible (its the most vulnerable wet area) but balanced with the other cuts to give a pleasing overall appearance. With all this info (if necessary) mark a new line below the first test line which will be the top of the first row of cuts above the bath.

Personally I would cut and fit this first row (packed up off the bath top) and then fit the rest of the wall. Alternatively fix a batten to the wall/line and then tile the wall above; when set remove the batten and cut and fit the tiles below.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

there s no bath that cant be leveled you do no we have put a man on the moon all bath s have a justment on the feet .the bracket that hold them to the wall allow you to move them up to level in tiling we all learn a lot
of other jobs along the way that make our jobs a lot quicker so dont waste your time learn how to level a bath and move on

Reply to Tiling around a slightly un level bath in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks