Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a swimming pool with Marble in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

macca71

Hi guys,
Virgin post!!!
I've been asked to tile an indoor swimming pool in honed matt marble. Is there anyone out there that's ever tiled a pool in marble? if so any advice would be appreciated. I'm guessing it's doable but tanking firstly and then natural stone sealants need to be tip-top??! What should my procedure be?
Thanks
Macca

G

Gazzer

I am sure Dave from Diamond Pool Finishers will be along shortly to advise on this one.

M

macca71

Thanks guys, haven't tiled a pool before so slightly nervous! apparently the pool will be chemical free!! I await word from Diamond Dave! ;)

C

Concrete guy

This really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

When I imported marble we were asked about this a couple of times. It will need to be chemical free to start with, which you have.

The big question is what marble are they expecting you to use? You then need to check with the quarry/importer if it is suitable for a pool lining.

In pools you would usually use a fully vitrified product or similar, something with as near to zero absorption rate as possible, this is bacteria/health issue basically.

The answer is you can physically tile it with marble, should it be suitable is not actually a question you should be answering. That should be the supplier/specifier.

Reaction score
we have never had a problem with using marble before and we have done 20 + you must make sure you use the odourless sealers if poss, as tony said use integral waterproofer in the render/screed coats.
you say chemical free ! is it one of them swimming ponds ?.
outdoor ?.
indoor ?. :thumbsup: anymore questions just ask away :hurray:

C

Concrete guy

You live and learn.

Chemical free.

Every time we were asked it had to be UV filtration, but that's standard these days isn't it?

I'm talking a few years ago when Chlorine was the norm and UV filtration was some odd new fangled thing.

M

macca71

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for the advice, feeling a bit more confident about the project now. Apparently the tile manufacturer will not give a 100% guarantee that the marble is suitable for swimming pools!! BUT the client is very very keen on using the tile! .. i'm going to the site on Monday so will get a better picture of whats what then.. Diamond Dave, any tips on adhesives and grouts for pools? i'm used to using BAL and Mapei products but if there's a better option for pools i'd like to know..and if there's any pitfalls to watch out for with swimming pool tiling!!.. really appreciate your advice on this one. Macca

C

Concrete guy

Apparently the tile manufacturer will not give a 100% guarantee that the marble is suitable for swimming pools!!

That was the issue we were always faced with, as the importer we were the "manufacturer". The thing is, marble is a natural product so it's quarried and processed rather than "Manufactured".

You simply can't provide a no quibble, no question guarantee with a natural product, it isn't possible. You can give a reasonable idea of what would be expected of the product. Ultimately it's not like porcelain which is made to a specification and there is a defined line of product failure.

We also always fell foul of British standards requirement for certain levels of slip resistance with polished or honed marble.

However, it seems plenty are done so there's clearly a way around all these things.

Reply to Tiling a swimming pool with Marble in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen