Search the forum,

Discuss tiles on farmhouse floor have damp grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I'm after some advice please. I have read quite a few of your posts and there is plently of help out there. So here goes with my problem.
The existing tiled floor was laid in an old property with no damp course so when it is wet only occasionaly and only in some places the grout goes a slightly darker grey as it is soaking up some moisture.
I want to lay new tiles and of course don't want the same problem on the new floor. I've thought of sealing the existing floor but am worried that any damp will stay down and maybe start coming up the walls. I have also considered putting in a floating wooden chipboard/ply floor on top and then tiling. This second option i know is the best but is going to cost quite a lot more.
Anyone got any ideas please? Are there any products that will allo the grout to breathe if i tile over the op? I am open to all suggestions. The room is 40m2 and needs to be completely redecorated.
Thanks

D

diamondtiling

Hi there,

why not install an osmosis damp proof course in the walls, its quick and easy with hardly any mess and not very expensive.
If the floor is taking in damp now then that needs rectifying, dig out and start from scratch.

:thumbsup:

A

Aston

I'm after some advice please. I have read quite a few of your posts and there is plently of help out there. So here goes with my problem.
The existing tiled floor was laid in an old property with no damp course so when it is wet only occasionaly and only in some places the grout goes a slightly darker grey as it is soaking up some moisture.
I want to lay new tiles and of course don't want the same problem on the new floor. I've thought of sealing the existing floor but am worried that any damp will stay down and maybe start coming up the walls. I have also considered putting in a floating wooden chipboard/ply floor on top and then tiling. This second option i know is the best but is going to cost quite a lot more.
Anyone got any ideas please? Are there any products that will allo the grout to breathe if i tile over the op? I am open to all suggestions. The room is 40m2 and needs to be completely redecorated.
Thanks

when you say the grout is damp, do you mean around the edges of the floor or all over..??

M

mikethetile

its best to take up the floor and lay a dpm, topped off with concrete and a screed
sounds a lot of work but its less work and more effective than messing about with a timber floor which will need digging the floor out and dpm laying anyway

the problem with laying a wood floor over existing is that your old floor may be on hammered earth and will move under the extra weight
if you have old clay or quarries on earth take them up carefully as they have value to a salvage yard

U

Unregistered

when you say the grout is damp, do you mean around the edges of the floor or all over..??

There are 2 patches in the middle of the room. Probably no bigger than 1m2 each. There is never any surface water, as in puddles. It is just damp.

It is an "L" shaped room and the 2 patches are in one part of the "L" and in the other there is one patch on the wall of rising damp.

I am looking at the osmosis damp proof kits right now!

A

Aston

if its damp all over then as mike says, there wont be a damp proof membrane in the floor so that will need to be rectified...

U

Unregistered

firstly thanks guys for your input. I've got the idea as a "unregistered" I can't officially thank you, so consider it done.

It seems general consensus is to dig it up and start it again. I sort of new that was the correct solution but sometimes it is great to hear others opinion. However, if I told you there was a step down into the room from the front door and then other rooms off it are a step up again. Would you still dig it up or would you go damp course ontop then concrete? It would save digging it up and also remove the step.

unregistered Ben

M

mikethetile

firstly thanks guys for your input. I've got the idea as a "unregistered" I can't officially thank you, so consider it done.

It seems general consensus is to dig it up and start it again. I sort of new that was the correct solution but sometimes it is great to hear others opinion. However, if I told you there was a step down into the room from the front door and then other rooms off it are a step up again. Would you still dig it up or would you go damp course ontop then concrete? It would save digging it up and also remove the step.

unregistered Ben
well that would save a lot of digging just take care that the damproofing is sufficant to prevent damp rising up the walls

I take it the other floors are suspended wood floors

Reply to tiles on farmhouse floor have damp grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen