Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RockCeramics

Re: Hall of shame....

Is this work really worth £50m2?

In my last post "in pricing" i stated about sometiling work someone had done,went back and tried to rectify their work.

The client had noticed a dip in the floor and asked if icould level floor out. They were out all day so i started on removing the bellied tiles out after assessing the bad ones out.

Here are the results i found in his laying.

Boards were 9mmthick.

They had a new floor fitted the builder did not know anything about tiling so they asked the tiler on what boarding was required ontop of the floor boards.

Tiler quoted that 9mm was sufficient "ok" to use.

Tiles came up a pieceof cake; Adhesive had stuck to the tiles not to the floor base.

I took a small sample to tile giant to get confirmationon what i thought. He concurred that the adhesive was not flexi.

Also the bedding on the tile was only 1 maybe 2mm thick

The whole floor is out by 6/7mm in level.

He used 2 different colour grouts plus in some areas he used the addy as grout.

The cuts at rad pipes have been cut from the corner from a tile and not used a dia core bit this is also at the doors.

Grout not completely cleaned off tiles when he finished.

Instead of putting a cut to the shower tray he said that the builder can put a piece of battening to hide it.

Grout to low in areas.

i could go on.

Here are some more photos.

IS THIS REALLY WORTH £50M2?

Attachments

• P5160603.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
  • P5160623.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P5160625.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P5160616.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 97
  • P5160593.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P5160615.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 95
  • P5160602.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 93
  • P5160613.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 93
  • P5160620.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P5160614.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:
R

RockCeramics

yep I waited for the lady to get in from work before i started any more work, showed and told the client about the issues and that the floor prob wont last that long.
I even bought latex thinking i needed to level out the floor but didnt need it.

I

Ian

For that money it should be perfect, the rads should have come off so the pipes could be cored tight, the cuts for architraves are poor and the gap at the shower is just poor setting out. If it was a £20 per m job it's almost acceptable........ actually no it wouldn't.

Q

Qwerty

Unreal that there are so many tilers out there like this.......... yet they still get the work!

R

RockCeramics

yep he even had 20 yrs experience and had his own business.
I have loads of more photos and more over stuff to.

B

Bolter

Unreal that there are so many tilers out there like this.......... yet they still get the work!

Yea but probably a small figure compared to the thousands of top quality bathrooms completed every week up and down the land.

P

PJ Tiling

Been to look at a job today for a friend of the family who I recently done some work for. She got me in to look at her bathroom that her boyfriend decided he would tile for her, after telling her that he's done loads of tiling in the past according to his words.....'it's easy!'

I lol'd........literally!

264678_10150219941980768_834230767_7076229_4933823_n.jpg 261902_10150219941505768_834230767_7076217_2483876_n.jpg

Didn't have time to take any more pics, the customer was to embaressed

W

White Room

He should've gone to spec savers:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks