Search the forum,

Discuss Terracotta on Gyproc based screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Polaroid

Hi,
I believe this kind of topic has been discussed in the past, but I thought it would be wiser to ask again...!

In the coming months (at least when it gets warmer!) I will be laying Terracotta (12" x 12") tiles on a Gyproc based floor.
Usual questions...

- How and with what do I prepare the floor? (it has been scarified, and I will give it a quick sand and clean before I start)
- Sealing the tiles, do I seal the whole tile before laying? with what and how?
- What adhesive do you recommend? how much how little?
- Finishing, can you recommend a product to finish the tiles?

Kind Regards,

AL.

D

DHTiling

Your first point of call is the screed, is it heated..? what brand of Anhydrite is it.?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Al. As with David...what brand is it. Reason being gyproc is not a common screed type (not even sure it is still available)

have a floor finishes flow chart that you might find helpful. If you pm me your e-mail address I can fire it through for you in the morning.

P

Polaroid

Guys,

Thanks for your questions!
I've been told its Anhydrite/Gypsum based screed.
I've heard of a product called 'Gypfix' not sure what it does but my questions still remain!

Regards,

AL.

G

Gazzer

Gypfix is an adhesive suitable for these screeds and I have used it successfully on a number of jobs.

G

Gazzer

Priming the floor ?
Gypfix says no need to prime unless its a very porous floor as Gypfix is a Gypsum based adhesive and will not react against the Anhydrite screed.
As for sealing the Terracotta I would rather those that have used Terracotta lately answer this as I have not used it for years.

B

BoldreChris

I laid a terracotta floor last year. The tiles were just brushed to remove dust before laying but were given one coat of Lithofin Terracotta Impregnator before grouting and three coats of LTP Ironwax Satin afterwards. They ended up pretty shiny and the dark grout was quite easy to clean off the surface.

056.jpg

It was onto a fresh sand/cement screed so I used matting bonded to the screed with Weber SPF rapid and the same for the tiles. Grout was Weber joint pro, brown and sandstone mixed to give the final colour.

Reply to Terracotta on Gyproc based screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen