Discuss Surface prep for floor and wall in cloak room in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

serval

TF
Reaction score
Hi all, im re fitting my my small wc/cloak room and plan to tile the floor. ( about 2.5 m2)

The existing floor is concrete and it is pretty flat for the most part. However there are some areas that are uneven and likely to give me problems. so i wanted to check what the best practice for preparing the floor before i start tiling?

Even if the floor was perfectly flat, would you tile directly onto concrete? or does some other sub floor need to be installed first?

Also got a wall and some boxed in pipe work that im going to be tiling.
The wall is painted plasterboard and the boxed in area is 12mm hardibacker.... do either of these need any special surface prep?

Interested to hear what you guys do in this situation

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

serval

TF
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics.
DSC_2272.JPG
15661231871151301720130.jpg
DSC_2274.JPG

The floor has a few areas that are slightly uneven by around 2mm at most.

Would i be able to use additional adhesive and back butter the tiles to fill out any uneveness or am i better off self leveling the floor first?

DSC_2273.JPG

Last edited:
W

WetSaw

That deep hole in the corner will need filling, hard to tell how deep it is from the photo. The rest of the floor just use primer before tiling. The paint needs to come off the walls.

serval

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for.the reply

That uneven bit in the corner is about 8mm deep.
Would you use self leveling screed to fill that in?

Also what type of primer should i use on the floor?

S

Spare Tool

For what it is might as well get a bag of leveler and fill all the dips in, got to mix a full bag up so might as well use it, just pour and pull a straight edge over the floor... Try and stick with the same reputable brand throughout, so prime with the same manufacturer as your leveler and adhesive..

serval

TF
Reaction score
Cheers.
What about a suitable adhesive that i can use for the floor and wall alike. Got some primer g so wanted to stick with mapei.

Wouls adsilex p9 be suitable?

S

Spare Tool

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than an S1 adhesive so if Mapei would go with slowset keraflex..

serval

TF
Reaction score
Have used keraquick s1 before and got on fine with that.
Slowset might be better this time as it'll be my first attempt at doing a floor so the extra time should be good

Reply to Surface prep for floor and wall in cloak room in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks