Discuss State Of Tiles After Removing Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris Taylor

Hi,

First off let me say I know little to nothing about DIY and this is my first property.

Due to a slight leak and the shower being a bit old we are looking to replace it. We have been advised to put stud wall up between the bath and shower to make it fit better/seal easier.

The plan is to make the bath few inches shorter and keep shower the same size.

Now the question is, if we remove the shower and move it back 6 inches or so. What state will the tiles be in behind the plastic holding the glass/door in place. I don't particularly want to have to retile so will get bath of the same height ect. I am worried that if I move the shower the tiles behind the shower maybe marked/damaged. I appreciate some holes will need to be filled in but I can live with that. I just don't want to get new shower/bath fitted to be left with some marked/damaged tiles.

Please see pictures attached.

Thanks in advance.

1465643996527-874490112.jpg 1465644042622-941886047.jpg

S

SJPurdy

If I read this right you are advised to replace the clear plastic side panel of the shower cubical with a stud wall, and to make room for the stud wall you are going to replace the bath with a shorter one.
Changing a clear screen for a solid stud wall will make the whole room seem smaller and darker in my opinion.
Behind the wall channel that holds the glass screen in place will be 4 or 5 holes where it is fixed to the wall with screws.
You will have to do some tiling anyway to both sides and end of the stud wall.
I can not see why the existing setup can't be sealed properly. The only problem I can see with it is the lack of access to clean the outside of the screen against the bath end.
I am sceptical about the advise you are being given but this is only based on the pictures you have provided.

Reply to State Of Tiles After Removing Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks