Discuss splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

anderson

Hi all .

First post so be gentle . I,m doing a window splashback using 10cm tiles , and am trying to figure out how best to lay tiles out . Because I have dado rail on joining wall I would like my tiles to finish level with it because I think it looks neater , This would mean that i would need to cult 1 tile approx 7cm after allowing joints . If i start with smaller tile on bottom it would leave a 2cm gap under the window sill , as it,s approx 9cm from the upstand ( thats what i,m tiling off ) and the bottob of the window sill .

How do you think it will look if i finish with cut tile at the top , i cant see another way around it . All advice greatly appreciated

Neil

J

JC tiling

hi all,
just ripped my kitchen wall tiles off and splash back...:mad2: any way.... it is a platered wall with paint on is it ok to tile strtaight over the paint atfer i scraped the old crap off???

F

faithhealer

Welcome to the forum neil, say hello on the new members bit

The only way is to cut a couple of tiles and see for yourself, bit difficult to judge from here!

I sometimes raise the height of a window sill to improve the appearance of the the tiles though, when possible

A

AllurePTS

Hi all .

First post so be gentle . I,m doing a window splashback using 10cm tiles , and am trying to figure out how best to lay tiles out . Because I have dado rail on joining wall I would like my tiles to finish level with it because I think it looks neater , This would mean that i would need to cult 1 tile approx 7cm after allowing joints . If i start with smaller tile on bottom it would leave a 2cm gap under the window sill , as it,s approx 9cm from the upstand ( thats what i,m tiling off ) and the bottob of the window sill .

How do you think it will look if i finish with cut tile at the top , i cant see another way around it . All advice greatly appreciated

Neil

It's hard to visualise Neil, ....you definately want to avoid narrow cuts if at all possible ....so from what you said, I think the 90mm at the bottom and 70mm at the top is the best way .....stongly advise you use tile trim on your top edge though - it will be very hard to get a good finish in that situation otherwise :thumbsup:

Just a thought ....obviously I don't know the details, but maybe changing the size of your spacer could help ???

Also - do be sure to check that your upstand is 100% level mate :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum

A

AllurePTS

And as faithhealer says ...it's often worth modifying your cill, to make it all fit better ....obviously that's only if you're tiling the ingo's and cill too though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

anderson

Hi Guys

Thanks for replies much appreciated . modifying cill is not an option . i think I will just cut the top tile . Just hope it looks ok . Yes will say hello if i can find the right section to do so

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Last splashie I did I didn't use trims. Owner still had some paint left from the kitchen walls so I painted the tops and sides of the tile and it looked great.
DSCF0525.jpg

Also meant I could move a socket into the field of tiles, and make good the hole in the wall.
DSCF0516.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

A

AllurePTS

You're right macten - you don't have to use trim ....I think the chap is a diy-er tho and the top row is going to be a CUT edge ...so - cost verses time and effort involved for him to get a decent finish on it - use trim imo :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

I hate trim, but I hate cut tiles on show unless you could run them through a wet saw to give a clean edge Neil?
good luck mate
doug

Reply to splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay