Search the forum,

Discuss splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

anderson

Hi all .

First post so be gentle . I,m doing a window splashback using 10cm tiles , and am trying to figure out how best to lay tiles out . Because I have dado rail on joining wall I would like my tiles to finish level with it because I think it looks neater , This would mean that i would need to cult 1 tile approx 7cm after allowing joints . If i start with smaller tile on bottom it would leave a 2cm gap under the window sill , as it,s approx 9cm from the upstand ( thats what i,m tiling off ) and the bottob of the window sill .

How do you think it will look if i finish with cut tile at the top , i cant see another way around it . All advice greatly appreciated

Neil

J

JC tiling

hi all,
just ripped my kitchen wall tiles off and splash back...:mad2: any way.... it is a platered wall with paint on is it ok to tile strtaight over the paint atfer i scraped the old crap off???

F

faithhealer

Welcome to the forum neil, say hello on the new members bit

The only way is to cut a couple of tiles and see for yourself, bit difficult to judge from here!

I sometimes raise the height of a window sill to improve the appearance of the the tiles though, when possible

A

AllurePTS

Hi all .

First post so be gentle . I,m doing a window splashback using 10cm tiles , and am trying to figure out how best to lay tiles out . Because I have dado rail on joining wall I would like my tiles to finish level with it because I think it looks neater , This would mean that i would need to cult 1 tile approx 7cm after allowing joints . If i start with smaller tile on bottom it would leave a 2cm gap under the window sill , as it,s approx 9cm from the upstand ( thats what i,m tiling off ) and the bottob of the window sill .

How do you think it will look if i finish with cut tile at the top , i cant see another way around it . All advice greatly appreciated

Neil

It's hard to visualise Neil, ....you definately want to avoid narrow cuts if at all possible ....so from what you said, I think the 90mm at the bottom and 70mm at the top is the best way .....stongly advise you use tile trim on your top edge though - it will be very hard to get a good finish in that situation otherwise :thumbsup:

Just a thought ....obviously I don't know the details, but maybe changing the size of your spacer could help ???

Also - do be sure to check that your upstand is 100% level mate :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum

A

AllurePTS

And as faithhealer says ...it's often worth modifying your cill, to make it all fit better ....obviously that's only if you're tiling the ingo's and cill too though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

anderson

Hi Guys

Thanks for replies much appreciated . modifying cill is not an option . i think I will just cut the top tile . Just hope it looks ok . Yes will say hello if i can find the right section to do so

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Last splashie I did I didn't use trims. Owner still had some paint left from the kitchen walls so I painted the tops and sides of the tile and it looked great.
DSCF0525.jpg

Also meant I could move a socket into the field of tiles, and make good the hole in the wall.
DSCF0516.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

A

AllurePTS

You're right macten - you don't have to use trim ....I think the chap is a diy-er tho and the top row is going to be a CUT edge ...so - cost verses time and effort involved for him to get a decent finish on it - use trim imo :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

I hate trim, but I hate cut tiles on show unless you could run them through a wet saw to give a clean edge Neil?
good luck mate
doug

Reply to splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen