Discuss Sorting wall before tiling kitchen backsplash (runout / bow) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be using a metro tile or longer rectangular tile (up to 300mm length) in brickbond and as the walls have some bow on one side and a fairly substantial runout on the other, I'm trying to workout what I need to do for surface prep before getting going.

Worktops + upstands are already in place so removing large sections of wall as not going to be straightforward. House is also 120yrs old and walls in the area to be tiled are a mix of plasterboard and old lath & plaster.

On the hob side the bow is maximum behind the hob itself, ca. 8mm beyond the back of the upstand running to flush with the back of the upstand at either end. Walls are painted / plasterboard but where the joiner has removed the old kitchen the paper is torn on the board surface.
On the sink side its slightly worse as the bow goes out to about 10mm and runs for about 1m across the back of the sink area.

I was thinking that I would remove all the loose junk from the board, key in the small painted areas and then prime. But I'm not sure if I should build out the gap with cement board or some quickset filler, or if I would get away with just using a trowel with bigger teeth in the gap area to make up the bed thickness. Some tile at the ends will have the wall surface flush with the upstand and some will have at least this 10mm gap behind which feels a bit excessive for the tile adhesive.
Could I use a cement based adhesive to pack this out or should I be building out the wall first?

Thanks,

Attachments

• hob area bow.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Sink area.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 32
  • sink area bow.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 33
  • sink area 3.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 30
  • sink area 2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 28
  • hob area.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Prep work is the key to success.
I would try to level up the wall before anything else. Use a straight edge to skim the wall.

Thanks.
Any particular skim up product? Id thought about using some mix up filler but most recommendations seem to be to avoid that as they're either not compatible or take weeks to cure off. Would a powdered quickset tile cement like mapei proflexible be suitable?

Cheers in advance.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks.
Any particular skim up product? Id thought about using some mix up filler but most recommendations seem to be to avoid that as they're either not compatible or take weeks to cure off. Would a powdered quickset tile cement like mapei proflexible be suitable?

Cheers in advance.
yes, you can use tile adhesive to level up the wall

Reaction score
Just dropping back to say job is complete.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_175516.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240315_175510.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240315_175155.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240315_175230.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 28

Reply to Sorting wall before tiling kitchen backsplash (runout / bow) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks