Search the forum,

Discuss some people really do take the biscuit.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Way back in Feb I went to estimate for a job, complete bathroom, all walls back to brick and stud, reboarded, ceiling dropped, plated and skimmed, doorway boarded, tiled in 600x300 porcelain (could have been 300x600:smilewinkgrin:). Had a look at the tiles and adhesive, addy was tubbed, tiles had a slight bow as porcelain often does, explained the probs of brickbond and that addy was wrong. Plumber went through the job with her (we work together a lot). We went away the plumber sorted out his estimate, I did mine, I posted them both to her. About 4 days later I got a phone call saying that the plumbers price was a bit expensive and mine would be good if it was a hundred less, I explained how I got to my price, she then said she wanted me to do the tiling as the shop where she bought the bathroom suite said to use me as my tiling was exquisite as they had seen it on a couple of jobs, when I told her my price was staying the same she again said why she wanted me to do it, anyway I didn't get the job, she rang back a couple of days later to say the plumber she had got had recommended a tiler. That was the end of that.....or so I thought, last week I got a phone call it went like this..I don,t know if you remember me, you came out to have a look at our bathroom,
Me..yes I do remember (it was my sons spanish teacher)
Mrs x..well we went with someone else but we can't get them to come back and we want you to come out and drill about 20 holes so the cabinets, towel radiator, toilet roll holder and mirror can be put up, oh and some grout is cracking, we want you to sort it out, we also want you to replace 4 tiles in the kitchen that they did and we are not happy about.
Me....:yikes: gobsmacked, I'm sorry but I'd cost too much, you thought I was too expensive to do the job in the first place,even though I came highly recommended, well I'm afraid drilling into porcelain will be costing you £15 per hole x20, I make that £300, then there's 2 days work doing the other bits thats another £300, but having thought about it give the people who did the job another call because there's no way I'm going to do it.

I had no intention of going anywhere near, well not to do any work, was intrigued to see what the tiling was like, but decided not to, still can't get over the bare faced cheek of her...rant over..:hurray:

S

Stewart

This has happened to me several times over the years, and I say exactly the same as you, but I do really want to say "I told you......."

G

Gazzer

I would have gone around and told them after I had seen the work...1 to see the state of the tiling 2, to see the look on their face as I said No !

P

Pebbs

Sends you mad when then they do that dont they Devon? 18 months ago I quoted for a massive contract in Richmond, they went with my main competitor. Win some lose some, then last week they rang about the same job, asking if I could finish the job off as they had thrown the other lot of site. He wanted 4 fixers on site in 2 days time so they could meet the completion date. No I havent got anyone spare, right now I told them then got accused of being stroppy by the surveyor. I wasnt good enough the first time around, and Im nobodys second choice.

Devon you did the right thing let her stew, might teach her to make the right choices the next time.

Lynn

Reply to some people really do take the biscuit.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen