Discuss Some Advice/opinions Needed Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

I have to say I was a die hard Mapei fixer until 3 months ago. I had a major issue with Mapei which they refused to acknowledge. I lost all faith in them and their products so went to Tilemaster for everything. Using all of their products now including grout 3000 which is a far superior grout to Mapei UCP IMO. It mixes perfectly, doesn't fall off the float, doesn't slump in the joints and washes off perfectly with zero patchiness!

Try grout 3000, you will not be disappointed!

H

hmtiling

I have to say I was a die hard Mapei fixer until 3 months ago. I had a major issue with Mapei which they refused to acknowledge. I lost all faith in them and their products so went to Tilemaster for everything. Using all of their products now including grout 3000 which is a far superior grout to UCP. It mixes perfectly, doesn't fall off the float, slump in the joints and washes off perfectly with zero patchiness!

Try grout 3000, you will not be disappointed!
Seems to be a favourite on here. Have to have a word with my local suppliers and see what they can do.

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Used Bal micromax last year on a job where the customer supplied the grout. It was a real pain to wash off and dried patchy. Recent job the customer supplied some Mapei and it slumped in joints. Much prefer Grout 3000!!

E

EdinTiler

Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.
So Trading Standards got back to me yesterday and it seems that they think I have a case to be answered. In their eyes the original agreement for price was to lay the tiles and grout the floor. Tiles and grout being supplied by the customer and primer,spacers and adhesive to be supplied by myself.
Because the grout was chosen and bought by themselves I am entitled to ask for extra money for my time and cost as this was the customers perogative to change the grout, regardless of whether it was the wrong or right colour.
They have given me a communicative protocol to go through up until the point of launching a small claims writ against them. So this is what I'm going to do.
I will keep posting up each stage of the process so that if anyone on here ever comes across the same problem (I hope they don't) they'll know the correct move to make to move forward with recouping unpaid wages back.
I have taken on board the grout issue and will certainly look into where I can find Grout3000 in central Scotland and give it a whirl.
Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions and opinions lads and lassies.
EdinTiler

E

EdinTiler

Update time :
So I received a text this morning from said customer. Apparently she is taking me to court for having to replace the entire 70 sq metre floor of the aforementioned kitchen. She has a tiler in that tried to take the grout out of the joints but chipped the tiles in the process. She's also including the cost of the labour to remove and replace the tiles and also for floor leveller?? ( it's a spanking new extension and flat as a pancake )
I could go on but I'd like any opinions on the situation from what I've already written in the thread up until now.
Thanks in advance
EdinTiler

E

EdinTiler

Some questions :
Surely she needed to have an independent opinion from someone qualified before replacing the tiles?
Surely the tiler that came in after me assumes responsibility for the tiles and grout when he took on the job?
Cheers
EdinTiler

B

bcd-87

Pretty much everything goes AGAINST them. The fact that THEY chose the grout.....then changed it....twice. Then lied about a BAL rep report. That's almost fraud in my book.

If you can afford to carry it out, I would be tempted to take it all the way.

I'm a stubborn git that hates these kind of people, and would want payback........one way or another.

you sound like a Tony Soprano

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've had similar customers to this once and it was the only job i ever walked off. I feel your pain.
I've had Mapei Ultracolour 113 go patchy twice, never with another colour. As @antonio said there is a product to rectify this. Might be worth a try to go a shade darker over the lot.
Good luck!
Mapei Fuga Fresca Grout Colour Reviver 21 x Colours (160g) - Mapei Sealants Grouts & Shower Waterproofing - Product List - Sealants Online

113 and 299 limestone seem to go patchy depending how wet you get it when washing of, maybe a similar problem with the bal micro.
Bal = dog s##te
Ultra colour plus for me.
@EdinTiler don't let these b##tards get away with it, people like this need teaching a lesson, I know a Bulgarian man who can be very persuasive, he lives in Manchester though. :fearscream:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure how it works on your side of the map, but here in my area you have 3 chances to find a remedy to an issue. Calling in another tiler is not an option and should have nothing to do with you. If you have been in contact with them in regards to the non payment and grout issues, it makes me think they are trying to get all work for free. If they called a tiler in, to me it doesn't matter if 10 days or 10 years later. Your job was done, and you should be paid. If anyone gets a court date it should be the new tiler for his work, and the home owner for not paying. And o would be taking them to court for sure.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
@EdinTiler she can't do that, bring in another tiler to correct work with out first giving you the opportunity to rectify and work, this she should do in writing and only when you have refused or failed to do the work can she bring someone in, where did she buy the grout etc and can you get copy invoices from the shop to prove she purchased them, do you have any photos?
Can you get a statement for any other trades that have had issues with her similar to your predicament.
If it was my job I'd be starting legals tomorrow morning without hesitation.
If she has had the work carried out again request her to provide copy invoices of everything from the smallest item to the labour to install, don't leave any stone unturned mate.
I hate people like this who think they are better than the tradesman that works his fingers to the bone to provide a nice job and a good service.
Clean her out, if that don't work wipe her out......

Reply to Some Advice/opinions Needed Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks