Discuss Some Advice/opinions Needed Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

Something I do every now and again if a customer is in two minds about grout colours is, use some off cuts stuck to a sample board and grout using however many colours you need, this way they see how the dried grout looks against their tile, fool proof.

S

SJPurdy

Good luck with this.
Stay calm and do not loose you temper or do anything stupid!
I think you are probably best communicating in writing with them and probably giving them the facts from BAL as reported to you; and maybe an invoice for work done (you presumably completed the job with their grout - then everything after that -removal/regrout etc is extra in my opinion).
Steve

O

Old Mod

Something I do every now and again if a customer is in two minds about grout colours is, use some off cuts stuck to a sample board and grout using however many colours you need, this way they see how the dried grout looks against their tile, fool proof.
Snap! :D

H

hmtiling

I've had similar customers to this once and it was the only job i ever walked off. I feel your pain.
I've had Mapei Ultracolour 113 go patchy twice, never with another colour. As @antonio said there is a product to rectify this. Might be worth a try to go a shade darker over the lot.
Good luck!
Mapei Fuga Fresca Grout Colour Reviver 21 x Colours (160g) - Mapei Sealants Grouts & Shower Waterproofing - Product List - Sealants Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Just so anyone else reading this knows. I've only walked off of one other job, which was site work, in the past 10 years. I have a good reputation and 99% of my work is through recommended word of mouth. I take great pride in my work as I'm sure all professional tilers on this forum do too and I want nothing more than to finish the job to total satisfaction as usual but I need paid for my time just like the rest of us.
EdinTiler
Sounds like the customers a bit of a fanny. She picked the first colour and shouldn't expect you to remove and replace because a sales rep said it would dry a different colour. Your justified in asking for financial compensation and hope you get it. On a different note. I try not to use bal grouts and tend to stick with mapei, more colour choice and less chance of effervescence.

H

hmtiling

Sounds like the customers a bit of a fanny. She picked the first colour and shouldn't expect you to remove and replace because a sales rep said it would dry a different colour. Your justified in asking for financial compensation and hope you get it. On a different note. I try not to use bal grouts and tend to stick with mapei, more colour choice and less chance of effervescence.
Mm2 doesn't get efflorescence.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is grout 3000 that good? Never used any Tilemaster stuff as my nearest stockist is a boat trip away.
I've only been using it a couple of months after advice from the forum..... I wish I had found it years ago......it's especially good with low porous tiles like porcelain it doesn't slump in the joints like some grouts and you can get a nice flush finish ......perfect imo

H

hmtiling

I've only been using it a couple of months after advice from the forum..... I wish I had found it years ago......it's especially good with low porous tiles like porcelain it doesn't slump in the joints like some grouts and you can get a nice flush joint......perfect imo
Always used to use mapei but been using mm2 of late. With both of these, especially Mapei, i find you only get that small window of time to wash off after it's not too wet but before it's turned completely on porcelain. I'll have to try and get some 3000.

Reaction score
Mm2 doesn't get efflorescence.
Didn't realise he was talking about Bal mm2.
I have always found bal wide joint grouts notorious for effervescence and the amount of course sand within the product made it just about impossible to grout up to chrome tile trims. There up to 5 mm grouts aren't bad, but tend to stay clear and just use Mapei.

Reply to Some Advice/opinions Needed Please! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks