Search the forum,

Discuss Some advice for someone starting out in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Crocotile

I was working in retail last year and quit my job to become a laborer. I took a hit in terms of money but wanted to better myself. I've been given the opportunity to learn tiling. I did a few bathrooms with my boss helping me and then recently I tiled a full bathroom on my own, granted it was a small one but I tiled the whole thing, start to finish on my own and grouted it. I'm starting the next bathroom this week coming up and it's a really big bathroom, floor to ceiling with a niche or however you spell it?

Anyway I'm after any advice anyone can give me? I'm really keen and extremely interested. I can't stop looking at different tiling jobs and tools etc. I've bought myself a few bits and will continue to buy more tools to help me. I just wondered what tools I should be buying, even if it seems obvious. I was thinking about getting a splashboy as a few people have recommended them to me. I'm getting a mitre box and hacksaw this week for my beads, just to add a more professional touch. My boss says I have the makings of a good tiler and he even said he can't fault my work so far, he just wants me to be faster as we can't be taking over someone's bathroom for ages while I tile it. If I can start doing it faster and speed up, I'll get more money so I could do with any advice to try and speed up but still keep the same quality. I obsess over some tiles and end up going back to them to alter them which is frustrating. I also struggle to get my batton perfectly level so I end up having to pack the odd tile up a little to make it all level. Apologies for the long winded post!

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am all for being keen and wanting to learn, but this is a finishing trade and background knowledge is paramount to a decent job.
See if your boss will send you on a NVQ course and look at the Training side of the forum.
I do wish you good luck but don't take on more than your capable of with limited experience.

L

LM

As @timeless john has said and you've already found one of the best resources for knowledge and help there is out there in this forum, spend a few hours a night reading posts of interest to you, there's a thread for everything you can imagine tiling related and don't be shy to ask questions if you don't fully understand something, we all at one point were at the same point of knowledge as you. Always be honest with yourself and take your time, speed will come naturally with experience.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do apologise.
It just made me giggle..
I blame paul for going to far.. :)

Follow Johns and Lee's advice and you won't go far wrong.
And good luck !

Last edited:

Reply to Some advice for someone starting out in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen