Search the forum,

Discuss Sink Worktop - Hardibacker or ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pt44

Hi

Making a sink worktop to be tiled in Porcelain 600x300's. I need something structural for the weight of the sink - waterproof ply would do 12mm or 18mm. However, would people recommend that I then use something like 6mm Hardibacker on top of that? Or is it fine to lay direct onto the ply - as its not going to be getting that wet - like a shower for example.

Paul

G

grumpygrouter

You would be fine to lay on ply IMO. Ply is used on floors so why not a worktop. My only reservation would be potential for water to get through to the ply. Even marine ply if it is not sufficiently protected would be damaged. Maybe put a tanking membrane down first and then tile on top of that?

S

sweaty sock

i would look at wedi board for this countertop and you will have no probs with tiling direct and easy cutting and prep -:8::8:

G

grumpygrouter

i would look at wedi board for this countertop and you will have no probs with tiling direct and easy cutting and prep -:8::8:
I have never used Wedi, is it sufficiently strong to have a cut out for a sink and give enough support?

P

pt44

Hi Sweaty - I use wedi board extensively, and I love it, but I don't trust the thin stuff for a worktop - i.e. 12.5mm

I could of course go thicker, but then it becomes a really thick top - which I am trying to avoid - the 50mm wedi is great to use. On the other cabinets I've made to cover up toilets and sinks etc. I like to use something a bit more substantial. In the project I'm doing now, the sink is one of those vanity type - that hangs over the front edge. So all that is holding it in place is the plumbing and some silicone. I like the feel of having a solid board as the structure for the top - that is well screwed to the frame. So the 6mm hardibacker is merely acting as a waterproof layer, for the ply - belt and braces and all that. For the front of the cabinet, I will just use the 6mm hardi on its own, with no backing. This is so that I'm not bringing the existing cabinet too far into the room - as I would have to alter the toilet position etc. too much. I'm replacing a basic 12mm painted mdf, with 6mm of hari + 10mm tile and adhesive. Hopefully, keeping the plumbing as is (tho I may need to tweak it).

P

pt44

I have never used Wedi, is it sufficiently strong to have a cut out for a sink and give enough support?

Wedi is fantastic stuff. But does have its drawbacks when making sink tops - imo. For example, because its not strong on compression, I wouldn't like to be the one tightening up a tap under it. It will just compress - its just foam with a skin of cement on either side - no body to it.

Wouldn't be so bad for a sit on sink bowl - where there is nothing needing to be tightened to it. With the tap coming out of the wall or something.

Also applies to building under sink cabinets. As it has no body, you can't screw a door hinge into it. Would be great if you could. Don't get me wrong - its well strong enough for a lot of jobs - and a unit built out of simply 50mm panels will be well strong and quick to make. But then you couldn't easily put a door on that cabinet. You'd end up making a wooden frame inside - to hang the door - thereby defeating the need for the thick wedi. So you'd be back to 12mm for structure - but that can be too thick for something like a cabinet - hence - back to good old Hardi (though I hate cutting hardi).

Wedi is perfect for making wet rooms, their preformed trays and drain fittings are superb and the waterproof tape etc. works well (tho is expensive). The boards are just like putting up plasterboard - dead easy.

Paul

A

Alberta Stone

If you are making a working countertop then go with3/4" exterior grade sheathing plywood and prime and tile.
If there is a sink in it, do the cut out and then use one of the liquid waterproofing products (like mapei HPG) and apply that around the sink hole area (including the sides of the cut out) and up against the wall, where water is likely to get to.

Wedi is nice, but is foam and is not structural like wood.
CBU are also not structural and they absorb water like a sponge.
Both of these are not practical.
Stick to ply.

P

pt44

Not heard of Mapei HPG - will do some research. Normally on ply I have always just coated the edges in PVA - not perfect, but a good sealant. I presume the HPG stuff does a better job? When you say prime the Ply - would that be PVA'ing it? Or does a dedicated primer (I've used the ardex blue stuff before) do something more?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sink Worktop - Hardibacker or ply? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen