Search the forum,

Discuss Setting out - How does this sound? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

STEVEROG

Gents,

I found this article while searching for information on 'setting out'.

Laying Floor Tiles: Laying a variety of different floor tiles on to differing surfaces, tools, floor tiling tools

What do you think?

I may go with this approach but thought it might make things easier to fix two wooden battons down to give me guide edges on lines A-A and B-B (see the diagram in the document above).

I think I would probably dry lay the full tiles plus spacers against the battons and see what it looks like from various angles and if it looks ok I would then stick all the full tiles down then leave til the next day, remove the battons and finish with the cuts.

Hows that sound?

D

david campbell

I would disregard everything he says about PVA :mad2::mad2::mad2:

ditto!
and be careful how you are fixing the batons to the foor!
there are pipes below:oops:
if you are fixing the 2 batons there is no need to dry lay!

T

tileform

I have 3 holes in my straight edge (1800mm long)
If i'm fixing onto ply i get my line then just screw my straight edge into the ply - you can quickly get your first line of tiles down :thumbsup:

L

Leatherface

In addition to other comments, the dry laying bit is not the best way, too time consuming.
Far more efficient to make a tile staff on a wood batten, with tile sizes and spacers marked............................

If you had to tile a warehouse floor, just imagine how long it would take to dry lay your tiles and keep adjusting if the set up was not right :thumbsup:

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Come on boys DIY DOCTOR surely the first thing you learnt was setting out, should be second nature, nowdays laser square and tape measure.
Lucius.

G

GarethK

if i had to dry lay all those tiles and keep readjusting i would get frustrated!
seems a bit of a long way round of doing things?...

Reply to Setting out - How does this sound? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen