Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Setting out a 4 tile opus pattern in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John the tile

Hello

Ive noted on another thread that I want to do this pattern on my kitchen floor.

Ive had a little think about it and have come to the conclusion its going to be a right pain to set out without getting thin cuts whatever I do.

Is there any advice that you can give to the best way of tackling the setting out of this pattern.

Thanks

I

Ian

The way I always do it is rather than trying to set it out tile by tile, use the pattern repeat as a whole tile, so if the pattern repeat is 1200mm x1200mm then set it out as if you are using a 1200x1200 tile. Hope this helps and makes sense!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Plenty of advice available but without a plan/description of the room layout we'd be setting out blind.
Somewhere with Opus you will have a few small cuts but the plan is to keep these to a minimum and in areas that are not immediately visible. Also you do want to keep symmetry on the layout through the centre of the room. As I like to keep a 'random' pattern in this type of design, I'd use the 4 tile sizes 'random' and this way you can use a larger cut where required.
You could of course use an inlay border and all tiles will scan0007.jpg finish as a full piece and you get an even distance to the skirting/perimeter.

A

A Robson

Hello i have had a opus 4-pattern before, and found it to be a bit of a pain too, but i got a good result by a scale drawing to the floor plan and worked out all the cuts-before tiling. And found any pattern will work if the customer is happy first. Hope this will help:thumbsup:

D

Daz

As a guide, I try and find the smallest grout line repeat and set the room out to those dimensions, that way you minimise rubbish cuts.

Good luck,

Daz

D

Daz

Take the smallest tile plus the grout joint and set the room out to those dimensions, that way you will minimise the small cuts.

I hope this makes sense,

Daz

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, try to lay out the floor as if you were only using the smallest size tile in your pattern, adjust this to avoid any small cuts,get your lines to start from, and you shouldn't have any small cuts when you use the pattern

D

Daz

Cheers Tommy,

That's what I meant :thumbsup:. It all makes sense in my head but not necessarily when I type it out :mad2:.

Daz

M

Mr Tiler

Yes, try to lay out the floor as if you were only using the smallest size tile in your pattern, adjust this to avoid any small cuts,get your lines to start from, and you shouldn't have any small cuts when you use the pattern
everyone agree with this? seems the easiest route to take instead of using the while 4 tile layout but does it work?

Reply to Setting out a 4 tile opus pattern in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks