Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sealing slate tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

norma

My tiles have been laid with flexible adhesive and I am currently trying to clean them prior to applying the sealer/enhancer. However, despite several wipes with water they still look dusty when dry and have some wipe marks (from my builder's mucky cloth I suspect). However, I can't see these marks when they are wet. So my question is - will they be fine if I apply the sealer/enhancer or do I have to clean them with something else first.

Also, what is the best thing to apply the sealer with - sponge, cloth or brush?

Many thanks.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
My tiles have been laid with flexible adhesive and I am currently trying to clean them prior to applying the sealer/enhancer. However, despite several wipes with water they still look dusty when dry and have some wipe marks (from my builder's mucky cloth I suspect). However, I can't see these marks when they are wet. So my question is - will they be fine if I apply the sealer/enhancer or do I have to clean them with something else first.

Also, what is the best thing to apply the sealer with - sponge, cloth or brush?

Many thanks.

Hi Norma , i would ensure that the tiles are fully clean before impregnatiing,what type of slate do you have? Some slates are effected by acidic cleaners, Have you grouted yet.

You can apply your impregnator with any of the above , the key is to remove all excess after the saturation time stated on your bottle, I use a white towel to buff the tilles fully dry after saturation , work in sections. What impregnator / enhancer do you have?

N

norma

Thank you for your reply. The tiles are Brazilian black slate and I have got the LTP sealer/enhancer.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The tiles are Brazilian black slate and I have got the LTP sealer/enhancer.

Ok, you can test a diluted cement residue remover , follow the instructions and test this on an unlaid tile to ensure that you do not damage the stone. If all ok work in small sections with a white pad and rinse, towel dry

I personally would leave the floor 4-5 days or until fully dry after this clean to fully release all moisture ,It will look dry next day but leave it to release all moisture . After this you can test your seal, Remember remove all excess.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Hi Norma .

A clean with LTP grimex will remove the rest of the smearing , once dry buff the floor with a lint free cloth and leave to dry as Bob says for min 48 to 72 hours , then seal with the colour enhancer , leave to dwell for approx 15mins but without letting it dry and buff off excess sealer. Further coats will darken the slate further if required .

If a single coat of enhancer is sufficient enhancement then you can finish with a coat of LTP mattstone for added protection if water absorption is still occurring.

Reply to Sealing slate tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks