Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss SBR or PVA in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Kanon1

-
Reaction score
I need to re-tile my front door step after the tiles came away during the winter. The mix under the tiles was damp and crumbling away and so I have removed the tiles and the bedding mix and taken it back to some bricks and concrete. I need to reform the step to tile which means increasing the height by about 2 inches and repairing the front step facing. My plan was to use a PVA slurry and then concrete on top but I'm concerned about bonding using PVA in a damp area and wanted to know if using SBR mixed in the with the concrete would be ok to tile on top of. I understand that SBR is a water-proofer and wasn't sure if tile adhesive would stick to concrete that contained a water proofer (SBR).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards,
Mark

20210707_100031.jpg

20210707_201923.jpg

Reaction score
Always SBR over PVA. Tiles will stick fine with a good S1 adhesive. You can always slurry coat the step first. Dilute SBR 50:50 and mix with adhesive. Brush on and leave to dry.

Reply to SBR or PVA in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks