Search the forum,

Discuss Sbr Instead Of Tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Just Rizzle

Haha no I know Ray, my point was when a substrate is primed with PVA and u apply adhesive, which contains moisture (water) the PVA becomes live again.
Hence the mixing of the two changes its composition.
That's all I meant.
yes we know that pva re emulsifies
my point is styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) doesn't emulsify when it comes in contact with water and becomes water resistant when dry so is used extensively in tanking products 2 or 3 coats on a wall would probably make that wall weter proof. will do a little experiment tomorrow and see what happens.

I

Italy

yes we know that pva re emulsifies
my point is styrene butadiene rubber (SBR) doesn't emulsify when it comes in contact with water and becomes water resistant when dry so is used extensively in tanking products 2 or 3 coats on a wall would probably make that wall weter proof. will do a little experiment tomorrow and see what happens.
I think it might work

I

Ian

Even if sbr was waterproof, which I'm not convinced it is, there's still the issue of taping corners and joints and I'm not sure I'd want to trust sbr and silicone versus a proper tanking set up.

C

craigdon

That would require the SBR to be applied neat, that would form a skin and that would worry me.

Q

Qwerty

majority of tanking products are 90% sbr 10% paste I am lead to believe.

I disagree with this.

SBR (Styrene-butadiene or styrene-butadiene rubber) has never featured in any tanking products I have ever used.

I have picked Mapei WPS mapegum as one example-
Broken Link Removed

It details the chemical composition to the letter and it features nowhere. It is made up of numerous synthetic complex polymers but no SBR.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just Rizzle

Even if sbr was waterproof, which I'm not convinced it is, there's still the issue of taping corners and joints and I'm not sure I'd want to trust sbr and silicone versus a proper tanking set up.
SBR was developed by the germans prior to ww2 as a synthetic alternative to rubber and is still used today in the tyre industry. it is also used in damp proofing damp rooms or surfaces were it is painted on to form a seamless damp proof liner . the main component in any tanking solution is SBR AS IT is resistant to emusifacation ,flexible and very durable.

J

Just Rizzle

all tanking products are a skin of some sorts and that what worries me also. I don't use tanking products as ive said in the past I use membrains which I attatch to the walls using tilemasters ultimate s2 addy . and believe me its a ***** to pull off.

B

bcd-87

ordered a tanking kit today to put on my hardibacker covered bath/shower but am left wondering if ive made a mistake?

i popped into a tile shop tonight and the guy there said why didnt i just paint it with £9 SBR as not only is it a primer, it waterproofs too!!!

comments appreciated

Go back in tomorrow and throw a full 5lt of SBR at his head

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I used to always use the Ardex wpc tanking kits......basically a tub of sbr a small bag of rapid set grey and a roll of plasterers skrim.
I've protected my block and beam patio floor over the winter with sbr and cement slurry, not a drop has seeped through to the storage area underneath, I am beginning to think spending £400 on a Mapei tanking system will be a waste of money and I should just give it a couple more coats of sbr/cement slurry.

J

Just Rizzle

I used to always use the Ardex wpc tanking kits......basically a tub of sbr a small bag of rapid set grey and a roll of plasterers skrim.
I've protected my block and beam patio floor over the winter with sbr and cement slurry, not a drop has seeped through to the storage area underneath, I am beginning to think spending £400 on a Mapei tanking system will be a waste of money and I should just give it a couple more coats of sbr/cement slurry.
talk to the experts at sovereign chemicals that is exactly what they would recommend

J

Just Rizzle

I disagree with this.

SBR (Styrene-butadiene or styrene-butadiene rubber) has never featured in any tanking products I have ever used.

I have picked Mapei WPS mapegum as one example-
Broken Link Removed

It details the chemical composition to the letter and it features nowhere. It is made up of numerous synthetic complex polymers but no SBR.
numerous synthetic polymers. could these polymers be stryrene butadiene and rubber or sbr?

Last edited by a moderator:

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
talk to the experts at sovereign chemicals that is exactly what they would recommend

I used sovereign chemicals when I tanked the walls in my cellar, there was a specific product they sold for it that you mixed with water after sandblasting and applying anti sulphate to the walls then you mixed sbr and cement to a thick paste and formed a 1 inch angled fillet to all internal corners, better than having the wall linings and a sump pump as with some systems.

Reply to Sbr Instead Of Tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen