Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Require a little advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Davidwhite136

Hi all you have all prob heard this a million times but..

I've dot and dabbed my bathroom Walls would like to tile directley onto it*

Using zamora 30 x 60*Porcelain tiles*
[30x60.html]Zamora Brown Wall and Floor Tile (Topps Tiles[/url]

Can I do this ?
What would I need ?

Thanks. ( been searching but unsure)*

D

Daz

Hi David and welcome.

What have you D&D'd, is it plasterboard or cement boards?
And what did you D&D to?

D

Davidwhite136

Sorry it's 9.5 plaster board on one wall
and 12.5 on the other
Onto solid brick Walls

on the 9.5 only tilling up 2 high
and the 12.5 all the way up as shower is also on this wall

D

Daz

Weight wise you should be okay.
Are you planning to tank the shower area?

Prime the boards with an acrylic primer. Use a flexible single part cement based adhesive with an 8 or 10mm trowel and backskim the tiles as well.
Use a flexible grout and you'll be fine.

Good luck and don't forget the pics when done :thumbsup:.

D

Davidwhite136

Whitebeam -yes think so not sure of the name can do tomorrow

Captainslow - will do also tank ?

C

Colour Republic

This is a job we did with the same tile, straight onto bare plasterboard:thumbsup:

shower ob.jpg

D

Deleted member 9966

why tank the shower ???????

tanking is a waterproofing system that acts as a barrier between the tile adhesive and the wall substrate. it works to reduce the impact of water ingression through the tiles, adhesive and grout. it's very cost effective when you think of how much a full re-fit could cost if tanking hadn't been used.

D

dock

From the BS tiling and grout even if epoxy grout is used cannot be guaranteed to provide a water tight finish. When...........not if...........water gets through.........well safe to say for the sake of a few quid extra its better that the background is protected even if the shower has time to mostly dry out in between periods of use especially if its above ground floor.

O

obobsmith

As above mate tank the area as you would not beleive the damage to the underlying structure that water will cause over a period of time. Plasterboard and any wooden structures will turn to mush, damp through to adjoining rooms etc.
Do it right first time, tanking is not that expensive, redoing your work will be.:thumbsup:

deno3

TF
Reaction score
i know what tanking is and what its for but if the job is off sound construction and the tiling and grouting is done properly and the shower is mastic on all corners and the shower tray there is your waterproof surely thats why you do the tiling to stop the walls behined getting wet and to look nice :lol:

Reply to Require a little advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks