Discuss Re: Washboy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bootsmckiber

What exactly is the theory behind a washboy,this site is the first time I've heard of one.I can see the grout sinking to the bottom,but I can't see it keeping the water clean for any extraordinary amount of time,are they popular in England?
Mike

D

DHTiling

Washboy? What do I need one of those for?

These are the sentiments being echoed by tilers across the nation. For many years the standard grout cleaning tools have comprised of the basic bucket and sponge combination.
However with the size of jobs ever increasing the modern day professional tiler should not be without the tiler’s best friend - a trusty washboy.
Washboys have revolutionised grouting. Using a washboy allows you to increase your speed when grouting and will allow you to achieve the perfect finish time after time. Not only that, but there will be no need to get your hands wet and dirty!
A basic washboy set will comprise of a plastic tray, two rollers, a separation / decantation grid for waste water, a plastic float with a sponge and a rubber trowel.

http://www.tilersforums.com/
Too expensive?

Some may think that the price for a “glorified bucket and sponge” is a bit steep, however when you take into consideration the amount of time that you will save by using a washboy, it wont be long before the washboy has more than paid for itself.
How do I use a washboy?

A washboy is a very effective tool that is very simple to use.
1. Apply the grout as usual.
2. Fill washboy with water to 20-30mm above the separation / decantation grid and dunk the sponge in the water
3. Push the sponge horizontally across the rollers to remove excess water.
4. Even up the grouted joints with the sponge using a circular motion.
5. Rub the sponge along the separation / decantation grid in order to remove excess grout and the grout will fall and settle at the bottom below the separation / decantation grid. This will leave clean water above the grid to clean your sponge in.
6. Clean your sponge and repeat step three.
7. Pull the sponge across the tiles and then clean the sponge and repeat from step three until the surface is clean.
Which one to buy?

There are many washboys on the market; a great place to start is with the Rubi washboy.
The Rubi tilers washboy features a light and highly resistant plastic tray with 2 colander rollers and a separation-decantation system for waste water. It incorporates wheels and a handle for ease of transportation. The kit includes a plastic float with a sponge and a thermoplex rubber trowel. Dimensions: 58 x 27 x 35cm.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sWe

Using a sponge and a bucket, instead of using a washboy and a spongefloat, is, quite frankly, stone aged. Skimping on tools is false economy. Proper tools allow you to complete a job faster, and with better result, not to mention it's more fun.

As for water staying clean... Sure, it gets a bit murky after a while, but the "muck" forms a cement cake on the bottom, which you just tap out at the end of the day (depending on how much you clean), or when you're about to make the final pass with the sponge. Not so long ago, at a site job, I grouted 12 kitchen splashbacks in the same day, and I only had to switch water for the last three splashbacks, because the last three had another color of grouting.

G

GazLC81

This is the Washboy I bought about a month ago. I find that the sponge stays too wet no matter how much I go over the rollers! Anyone else find this problem? The float is good to use though! I just use a couple of sponges at the moment which is better that just using a bucket but still seems to defeat the object of the thing!

Any advice

S

sWe

Do you squeeze the ends of the sponge down "in between" the rollers? That's where the excess water goes if you just roll over. I go over the rollers once, then squeeze both the ends, which I do by rolling the sponge to one end, going from flat to 45 degrees, then repeating on the other end, and then I go over the rollers with the whole float once more. My sponge float is just a bit damp after that treatment. Never tried the wash boy you use though, so if the technique I described doesn't work, it might be the shape of the rollers. I find that regular smooth rollers, or better yet, "screwed" rollers, work the best.

mywashboy.jpg

My washboy looks like this, except it's got a softgrip handle.

R

rob hutchinson

Yes I know what you mean, for it to work efficiently the sponge should be damp and not overly wet. I have found that I have had the best results using ones that have holes in the rollers as opposed to being solid. They seem to disperse the excess water quicker to me. Has anyone else found this? :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

easy solution gaz is to buy a better quality sponge board....that one in the pic is a lower quality one...The bal washboy i have is the top one they do..its a blue bucket with blue rollers with bearings in and a poly-carbon washboard sponge..
Good quality sponges make all the difference....

B

Bling Tiling

Nice one chaps, i logged on to ask the same question as i am pondering buying a washboy due to the time and effort it takes to grout large floor areas!

M

Matty A

Dont buy the plas plugs one its sh**e i bought one when i first went it alone and used it once and it is now in the shed holding some spare tools.
I bought anouther wash boy few months ago and it is brill think it would be better wi a better sponge as the sponges i got wi it were only £4.99 wi th cut grid in them..

B

bootsmckiber

Right on,I'm liking this site.I haven't seen a "washboy" over here yet but I'm sure they're out there,and when I see one I'll buy it just so I can have an opinion.As stoneage as a sponge and bucket may be,they've never failed me in 19 years,thanks for all the feedback,
Mike

dptiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
been using them for 15 years now. first pick them up in germany . with my lock boy..
be lost with out it now.

T

The Day Clan

Bit late to this debate, but if you can source one, the Sqeasy is the best wahboy no question. (38 years contract tiling experience)

Reply to Re: Washboy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks