Search the forum,

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

If I are allowed,Olympic swimming pools have isolated using both variants,I think the most dependent on experience,are authorized by Mapei and Schlüter Systems.However, trying to stop water, but it is impossible in the long term.

not sure what you mean

B

BigDan

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Hi guys

This has probably already been covered but could you recommend a primer? to go directly onto a painted wall prior to tiling? can i use a basic builders one? and what mix would i need?

the room is a en suite with a shower cubicle in it. The walls have several layers of paint on them. I was oblivious to the need for primer - but my mate mentioned that i 'would need to PVA the walls first' so any help would be most welcome! Many thanks Dan :smilewinkgrin:

R

Ron117

Cheers dave, i've always said pva is for for making rockets outa toilet roll centre's in a classroom. lol

V

victic

Hi All,
I am feeling ever so slightly gutted at the moment.
Just joined your forum and just read this thread. (God do I wish I had fund this 3 weeks ago).
Guess what?
Just spent the last 3 weekends filling and preping my bathroom walls (4) ready for tiling.
Finishing it off with 2x coats of 5:1.... PVA!
The prospect of tiles falling from walls in the not to distant future is not a vision I wish to contemplate.

Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to resolve this problem?

And please don't ask why I did this. It was on advice from a friend of a friend of a work friend (who I have subsequently just found out..... is a plasterer!).

Many thanks
Victor
(head in hands)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I would remove the PVA mate, I presume you haven't started tiling yet. You will need to soak the PVA to soften it then scrape it off, make sure you allow the wall to dry completely before applying SBR primer. Good luck.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Hi All,
I am feeling ever so slightly gutted at the moment.
Just joined your forum and just read this thread. (God do I wish I had fund this 3 weeks ago).
Guess what?
Just spent the last 3 weekends filling and preping my bathroom walls (4) ready for tiling.
Finishing it off with 2x coats of 5:1.... PVA!
The prospect of tiles falling from walls in the not to distant future is not a vision I wish to contemplate.

Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to resolve this problem?

And please don't ask why I did this. It was on advice from a friend of a friend of a work friend (who I have subsequently just found out..... is a plasterer!).

Many thanks
Victor
(head in hands)

Yes Plasterers use PVA, but Tilers do it properly.. :lol:.. we use Acrylic or SBR primers.. never PVA.. :)

V

victic

Thanks for the advice.
To be honest the prospect of trying to get this PVA off is not one I particularly relish.
Could I get away with covering with a thin skim of plaster and then use a primer?

Reaction score
Dont beat yourself up too much victic - I found this "Expert" on the internet telling prospective floor tilers it was essential to put PVA on ply before tiling.......... Yes its a Tommy's Trade Secret (lol)

[DLMURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFErZal85w&feature=g-all-u"]Tommy's Trade Secrets - How To Tile A Floor - YouTube[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen