Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

enduro

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Very good dh, hopefully people will read and learn, and not read and weep when they have used pva and all the tiles fall off.

Reaction score

regarding pva on fresh plaster, many decorators coat new plaster in the stuff to seal, all they are doin in effect is sealing in moisture as it takes a good 4wks for the plaster to dry thoroughly. Fresh plaster should be primed/sealed with contractors emulsion 50/50 with water when decorating.

just a bit of useless information that may come in handy.

D

DHTiling

Cheers lads ...just thought this article was ideal for the pva versus primer argument that keeps cropping up....

J

Jeffrey4670

Hi, This is very interesting! In the past I have used PVA, but not any more. Over the past few jobs I have used BAL Bond and with a bit of luck the floor tiles will stay down!!! Jeff
----
Hi, Please could I ask you this question! I have read that you must seal the underside/joints of ply overlay. Why is is this so? for dampness? Is it ok to use PVA? Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You prime to minimise moisture absorption.. so pva wont suffice as primer.......

B

barriesheene

Have to be honest that this came as a surprise to me on the BAL course I sat. I had been told so many times over the years as a tile salesman by RESPECTED tiler's that there was no need to, and i quote " use that overpriced " when pva will do !! :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

it is pricey stuff barrie mate.. but cheaper than a re-tile if they fall off...lol lol...

M

Matty A

I was looking in tile suppliers near where i live and asked only this morning how much a bottle of primer was now of course they had the dreaded pva but also sold everbuild SBR and i was wondering if the sbr is ok as a primer as it is only £11 + vat for 5ltr bottle cos i have a large job next week that all needs priming.

Cheers
Mat

D

DHTiling

some sbr's are just bonding agents for plaster and cement screeds etc and not primers as well.. read the bottle and see what it say's...........dave..

L

leblanc

I have just read this after coating horizontal wood framing around a bath with Evostick waterproof PVA. I also went part way up the wall to cover a repaired area of lath and plaster. Should I remove it, and how?

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks